Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPods not working with iTunes 12.1 or OS 10.8.5

I recently tried to sync my old Gen 3 nano to my newest laptop. It wasn't recognized in iTunes 12.1. Thinking it was just old, I bought a shuffle, only to have iTunes 12.1 tell me there was an issue and to uninstall and re-install iTunes. When looking at the tech specs for my new shuffle, I notices that the OS requirement was OS X v10.6.8 or later, and iTunes 10.7 or later. Since my computer is more up to date, does that mean that these devices aren't supported?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 1:27 PM

2 replies

Apr 12, 2015 2:10 PM in response to DomSD1421

DomSD1421 wrote:

I recently tried to sync my old Gen 3 nano to my newest laptop. It wasn't recognized in iTunes 12.1. Thinking it was just old, I bought a shuffle, only to have iTunes 12.1 tell me there was an issue and to uninstall and re-install iTunes. When looking at the tech specs for my new shuffle, I notices that the OS requirement was OS X v10.6.8 or later, and iTunes 10.7 or later. Since my computer is more up to date, does that mean that these devices aren't supported?

jeffd55 didn't say it explicitly, but every iPod ever made *should* sync with the newest Macs (you'll have to get a couple of adapters to make the first two models work). If it's not coming up, you just have a software issue to debug.

The only within-Apple incompatibilities involve newer iDevices and older Macs (nothing with iOS7 or 8, or a Lightning connector will sync with any PowerPC Mac).

iPods not working with iTunes 12.1 or OS 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.