Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect ipad air to wifi. wifi button greyed

Ipad air abruptly stopped connecting to wifi. Wifi button will not slide to "on" in settings. Reset network and reset all settings did not work either. Cannot erase and reset as it wants me to first log on for verification and cannot do so without a wifi connection. Router works fine for all other devices. Connected to ITunes by wire and it says software is up to date.

iPad Air, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 1:29 PM

9 replies

Apr 8, 2015 6:12 PM in response to MTKfromOrisk

Honestly, if the WiFi is still showing as greyed out, I would be making a trip to the Apple store. It is starting to look more like a hardware issue at this point. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar & have them run a full diagnostic on your device.

You could certainly try a full restore but resetting network settings and resetting all settings should have corrected the problem.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Apr 9, 2015 9:39 AM in response to jazcan

Thanks for the advice. Nearest apple store is a 90 mile round trip. I will go there when I am on the road in that direction as a last resort. I was told to try a hard reset to go back to factory settings but that did not do anything to fix it.

Any update or restore wants me to enter my apple ID and password but those verifications failed since I am not on wifi to accomplish a verification.

I then tried the hardwired approach ( Ipad off, home button held, then connected by wire into pc - went into Itunes that triggered the ipad recovery mode, "restoring the software on this ipad" ). "Verifying ipad restore with Apple" If that doesn't work then I guess I will just pack it away until I make the trip to the store.

Apr 21, 2015 7:49 AM in response to MTKfromOrisk

Took Ipad to the Genius bar and after 4 attempts by 3 different techs to "fix" the firmware to see if it was the problem" and that would not load, they declared the ipad dead (must be a hardware fault- only 15 months old). I had to purchase a replacement Ipad and turn in the dead one. Now I question if I do a "restore" to the new one from my ITunes backup do I risk POSSIBLY re-introducing the problem or is that not a risk? What does a restore get me rather than just doing a fresh introduction of apps etc?

Apr 25, 2015 7:16 AM in response to MTKfromOrisk

Decided to just dive in and fix it on my own. I tried getting phone support from Apple. Not very pleased with them! I gave up on trying to use the backup and simply installed the apps and entered the settings I wanted. I lost confidence in the support I was supposed to be getting from Apple personnel. Why ask me for a" call back number in case we get disconnected", because they don't call back to continue to help out.😠

Cannot connect ipad air to wifi. wifi button greyed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.