Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 - More free space?

The recent ios 8.3 update shows my pictures taking up a lot less room than before. I do not use the iCloud Photos feature. I keep all my pics locally.

Why the sudden almost 6 GB increase in free space?

Please help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), MacBook Pro 11,3, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 6:07 PM

A possible explanation:

Several people were having issues with phantom photos...the Photos App was shown to be taking up more space than it actually was, meaning there was unaccounted for space being used. For some reason, deleted photos had not been removed from the device's cache but were hidden. Several people remedied this by backdating their devices then removing the photos from the recently deleted folder.

Perhaps the latest iOS finally addressed the issue.

Do all of your photos still appear on your iPad?

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2015 6:07 PM in response to LukeD

A possible explanation:

Several people were having issues with phantom photos...the Photos App was shown to be taking up more space than it actually was, meaning there was unaccounted for space being used. For some reason, deleted photos had not been removed from the device's cache but were hidden. Several people remedied this by backdating their devices then removing the photos from the recently deleted folder.

Perhaps the latest iOS finally addressed the issue.

Do all of your photos still appear on your iPad?

Apr 8, 2015 6:27 PM in response to LukeD

That is strange. Are they still sorted when tapping the 'photos icon' on the bottom by 'collection' & 'years'

Just curious as I haven't updated to iOS 8.3 yet.

As far as the 6 GB, I guess that would depend on how many photos you had/have on your iPad & how many you removed. Also, are you using the iCloud Photo Library? If so, then the original size photos would be stored in the cloud and only 'optimized' versions are stored directly on your device thus freeing up space.

Apr 8, 2015 6:34 PM in response to jazcan

That makes sense, but I am not using iCloud at all for photos.

I also did not manually remove any photos.

The photos remain in chronological order under photos. It is just under Albums - Camera Roll that they are all disorganized in a random mess when they were always in chronological order as well.

I would definitely hold off on the update, as there are too many ghosts to deal with. I jumped in hoping it would solve another problem, but I have ended up with at least 5 new ones.

Ugh...

Apr 8, 2015 7:44 PM in response to LukeD

Weird. On my device (iPhone 5s 32GB) it is even worse. The iTunes shows the "picture"s bar space compressed (aprox. from 9 GB to 2,9 GB after upgrading to 8.3) BUT total free space remains the same having "Others" increased about the same 6.1GB in size that photos shrunk. All those 3.000 photos should use more space and it seems to have been transfered from one place to another on the slide bar. At least they are still there and in chronological order. I am wondering if I could find a way to free space on Others or re-locate the pictures to it's correct place.

Any suggestion?

Apr 9, 2015 7:40 PM in response to LukeD

I had the similar issues with everyone posting on to this thread after upgrading to iOs 8.3 on both an iPhone 5s & iPad Retina Display.

My solution was to :

1. Update iTunes to 12.1.2.27.

2. Remove any old back up in iTunes & iCloud, but keeping the latest back up for both devices in a separate folder that iTunes does not reference.

3. Disconnect both devices from the Mac's lightning connecter.

4. Hard reset both devices. (Hold down Home and Power button simultaneously) let the devices restart.

5. Reconnect to the Mac.

6. Start iTunes, back up and sync.

All good now.

iOS 8.3 - More free space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.