Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPhoto still listed under Purchases in Yosemite

….assuming you have purchased from the MAS, moved iLife DVD iPhoto licence to the MAS, or accepted the 'bundle' on a new mac?

I can't boot into Yosemite currently but iPhoto and Aperture still appear in Purchases on Mountain Lion for me. Not sure if I deleted them if I'd actually be able to install the last compatible versions.

If they've disappeared from Purchases in OS X 10.10.3 MAS, might they still be seen in 10.10.2 or earlier?

There are multiple sceanarios where users may want to install or reinstall apps which have previously been 'Purchased' - we know in many instances this is possible for certain apps, but how about the 'legacy' iPhoto?

It would be handy to know in general if and when iPhoto could be reinstalled, and with multiple configurations it may be possibel for some pre 10.10.3 but not after….

Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.4.8), null

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 9:51 PM

11 replies

Apr 12, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Yer_Man

Despite having an Update button in Yosemite MAS which is clickable, I cannot seem to get the point update to download to upgrade 9.6 to 9.6.1 or whatever it was that 'improved compatibility' when migrating to Photos.

Not an issue for me to be honest as I'll configure an empty iPhoto library in the default location as I don't want Photos mucking around and renaming the in use iPhoto library I have on another internal drive.

More of interest as if we can't install an Update it may mean we can't install iPhoto if we created a new Yosemite installation.

It would nice to hear some comments that people had actually been able to install or update their old 'purchase'.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I was previously using iLife DVD versions of iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband etc but accepted these as Purchases on the Mini I bought a few months ago when configuring it in February.

My previous iWork app Purchases disappeared from Purchases to be replaced by the accepted Purchase dates.

Apr 12, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

I've saved a few copies of 9.6 just in case as well as having cloned 10.10.2.

Out of interest have you ever 'archived' MAS apps and then manually restored them to Applications later ? I have saved loads of Apps over the years (less important now that we can download last compatible versions for most), but never actually needed to add one I've archived back to Applications folder to know if they work as expected.

Apr 12, 2015 6:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

Nor have I to be honest, which says a lot.

I have a couple of older iOS apps however which I have just redownloaded on new devices and the current versions are full of ads and in-app purchases whereas the older versions did not have these undesirable 'features' - I might be tempted to try to revert to an older version via iTunes for a few of these. Fairly certain I actually originally paid for them, but would need to scrutinise my old itunes purchase lists.

Apr 12, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

The trick is to delete the version if iPhoto you have, then it will install the up-to-date one.

Finally applied the release 10.10.3 (had been using the beta).

The iPhoto 9.6 was rendered unusable:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Of course search the App Store just tells you it isn't available!

It was still only listed under Purchases with the Update option which did nothing.

As I had backed up 9.6 to several external/internal drives, it required quitting MAS, logging out, logging in, ejecting other drives, opening mAS and I finally got the option to install.

User uploaded file

I'm only including this info to potentially help others who might be stuck due to multiple boot drives with other versions of 9.6 or copies stored on internal/external drives as the MAS clearly picks up these incompatible versions still and suggests the Update which is not possible - it has always been thus unfortunately that MAS gets confused by Apps on other drives, though it at least seems better with other startup drives more recently.

Apr 12, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

Oddly, given my tendency to download and fidget with every app that comes my way on a Mac, I don't do any of that on my iOS devices. Both Phone and Pad use only two screens for apps, and a folder for unused ones that I can't delete.

With youngsters there are lots of apps with a short shelf-life unfortunately that they grow out of as well as multiple apps for different family members.

I do wish we could get rid of GameCenter and a lot of other malarkey!

I've had a first this week whilst away with an Angry Birds app refusing to even start/play without an update being applied - no wi-fi, reasonable 3G but could not update via cellular as over 100MB - quite annoying. One could argue I suppose that MAS could have worked out that iPhoto 9.6 was incompatible with 10.10.3 proper and installed that as part of the upgrade!

Is iPhoto still listed under Purchases in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.