Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i use garage band as "amplifier" with home stereo for electric guitar?

Hi,

I would like to be able to connect my electric guitar to my Macbook Pro and then using Garage Band change the the sound of my guitar using the "Garage Band amplifier" options and then send that sound to my home stereo.

I purchased an audio interface, but in order for this interface work with my MBP, I must set both my sound input and output to the audio interface - basically using the new audio interface as a sound card.

I attempted to use just a 1/4" to mini jack and connect to the "audio input" on my MBP and then using a toslink cable from my audio out to my home stereo and then adjusted my sound settings accordingly, but I' not getting any sound through Garage Band.

Totally confused and appreciate any help I can get.

Jim P.

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 5:11 AM

4 replies

Apr 9, 2015 9:21 AM in response to James Palmer2

There are two separate steps:

Output Selection:

Load a GaraBand Project and select the Audio Interface that you have hooked up to your stereo system. Make sure that your Project played through that interface properly.

Guitar Input Monitoring:

Select that Audio Device for the input in the GarageBand Preferences that you have hooked up your Guitar. Create a new Guitar Track in the New Tracks Dialog, open the Smart Controls where you set the input controls. And here is the important part: Enable the Input Monitoring Button (orange one). It is available on the Track Header and also in the Smart Controls Inspector. This lets you "listen to your input", basically using your GarageBand as an amp.

User uploaded file

I explain all those routing scenarios and setups in great detail in my "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" GarageBand X - How it Works

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Apr 13, 2015 6:05 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

I have been wrestling with this for a week and still can't seem to get it.

My setup is this...

I have a Steinberg UR12 audio interface

I have an electric guitar connected to my Sternberg

I have a Macbook Pro with the Sternberg drivers installed running GarageBand 10.0.3

I have connected the Sternberg to an A/V receiver using RCA connections

I can monitor my guitar through the standard RCA connection from the Sternberg to the A/V receiver, but what I would really like to do is use GarageBand to use different Amps and play the modified sound through my A/V receiver.

The Sternberg audio interface is "visible" to the MBP and when I set the MBP to use the Sternberg UR12 as input and the Output set to Built In Output, then start GarageBand and strum my guitar, I can see the input meter on my Sound preferences is detecting my guitar, but I don't hear anything through my MBP speakers. I have also set my Output to Steiberg UR12 and don't get any sound through to my A/V receiver

It appears as though GarageBand isn't getting the inputer signal and is not processing it through any of the "Amp" choices that I make. I have checked that the "Monitor" option is activated for the guitar/amp selection that I've made.....

Something so simple but just out of reach.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

TIA - JP

Apr 13, 2015 6:26 PM in response to James Palmer2

James Palmer2 wrote:

I set the MBP to use the Sternberg UR12 as input and the Output set to Built In Output

You have to set your audio interface (Steinberg) as the input AND the output. The output of GarageBand has to be sent to the Audio Interface, which sends its output to your AV receiver.

First make sure that whatever Project you play in GarageBand plays through the audio interface. Once that is established, you choose the input (your guitar connected to the audio interface). If you see that signal in GarageBand, you should then hear it on the AV receiver.

Apr 14, 2015 3:43 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Edgar,

The reason that had my output set to Built In Output was just to hear how the different GB amps sound, but there is no sound when set up this way.

I have tried what you describe with my Steinberg set as both input and output, but no matter what type of GB amp I choose, the sound heard through my A/V receiver is always the same.

It's almost as though the Steinberg is only routing the guitar signal directly to the RCA output jacks, rather than through the USB to the MBP and then to the Steinberg RCA out.

Still working at it.

Jim P.

Can i use garage band as "amplifier" with home stereo for electric guitar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.