Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage wont activate after 8.3 update

I've tried so many things, reseting it, factory resetting it, restoring, cutting imessage on and off. I do not know what more to do.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 8:07 AM

Hey will it just not let you type? Like the keyboard wont come up?

18 replies

Apr 9, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Karliechanel

No i can send sms, but I can not use my apple id to sign into my imessage and send imessage over wifi or cellular network. Im getting the same error message "could not sign in, please check your network connection and try again". I have tried wifi and cellular network. Apps that use the internet are working fine on the cellular network and wifi.

Apr 13, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Rockinsports

I'm having the same annoying problem. The update won't let me use my Apple ID to enable iMessage or FaceTime. I keep getting the 'Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again.' error message. This is quite the nightmare considering that I'm a news reporter and rely on these things to get information and spread information at work. :/

Apr 21, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Rockinsports

This happened to me for the second time, after this update and the previous update. I just noticed the problem today, after being off the grid since my most recent update. I turned imessage and facetime on (they were toggled off somehow) and the screen says waiting for activation. So I hope the solution is the same as the last time--try activating when at a different location, using a different wifi network. When I go to work later, I'll check to see if it's activated. I refuse my reset my network settings (didn't do the trick last time and it's a hassle to re-enter all those passwords). Maybe I'll consider a Samsung. . .

Apr 21, 2015 6:14 PM in response to rhondakap

I finally got it to work. First of all, to clarify, I realize that imessage stopped working after I had my phone on airplane mode. (phone # was grayed out and imessage wouldn't activate). I tried all day today with different wifi networks. Toggle on and off, airplane mode on and off, dns 8.8.8.8--every solution that I could find. Just now I plugged in my phone to the wall outlet, and, voila, iMessage activated and is showing my phone number!

May 14, 2015 7:46 PM in response to valleyroad

This issue has affected MANY of us since the 10.10.3 upgrade and the 8.3 iOS upgrade. They broke my iMessage app. I've spent countless hours on this, genius bar, tier 2 support (three times!), and the answer has always been the same: "Apple is aware of this issue and it has to do with our internal server not working properly."

And yet they STILL haven't fixed this. It used to be a great productivity tool. No longer. Thanks, Apple. Grrrrr...

iMessage wont activate after 8.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.