Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all your devices" ***?

I thought when I paid my annual iCloud storage fee that it included a library where my photos could permanently reside. If deleting a photo from any device deletes it from the iCloud Photo Library, "library" may not be the right word to describe its function. Surprised nobody else has commented on this. Am I the only one who got this wrong?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:13 AM

Thanks, léonie. I understand that now. My question is: Was I the only one who was confused? When I delete an app from my iPhone, I can still recover it from Apple's servers. When I delete a song from my song library, I can still download a fresh copy from the cloud. If I lose my iPhone entirely, I can can buy a new one and replace everything it contained. Am I crazy to think something called iCloud Photo Library would serve as a permanent receptacle for my photos?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2015 7:13 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, léonie. I understand that now. My question is: Was I the only one who was confused? When I delete an app from my iPhone, I can still recover it from Apple's servers. When I delete a song from my song library, I can still download a fresh copy from the cloud. If I lose my iPhone entirely, I can can buy a new one and replace everything it contained. Am I crazy to think something called iCloud Photo Library would serve as a permanent receptacle for my photos?

Apr 9, 2015 7:08 AM in response to philipfrombrooklyn

If deleting a photo from any device deletes it from the iCloud Photo Library, "library" may not be the right word to describe its function. Surprised nobody else has commented on this. Am I the only one who got this wrong?

Your iCloud Photo Library is in iCloud, and the main purpose is to sync and update it across all your devices. Any change you do, including deleting, will sync across all devices syncing with iCloud Photo Library.

If you want to save space on your mobile devices use the "Optimize Storage" option. Then you will store only optimized thumbnails on your devices and keep the full resolution versions in iCloud.

http://www.apple.com/osx/photos/

Fill your library, not your device.

iCloud Photo Library can help you make the most of the space on your Mac. When you choose “Optimize Mac Storage,” all your full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud in their original formats, with storage-saving versions kept on your Mac as space is needed. You can also optimize storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, so you can access more photos and videos than ever before

Apr 9, 2015 7:10 AM in response to philipfrombrooklyn

philipfrombrooklyn wrote:

I thought when I paid my annual iCloud storage fee that it included a library where my photos could permanently reside. If deleting a photo from any device deletes it from the iCloud Photo Library, "library" may not be the right word to describe its function. Surprised nobody else has commented on this. Am I the only one who got this wrong?

Problem with apple is it has become harder to find out details of their software upgrades - and how they work. OS8 devices actually get printable PDF or IBOOK along with the usually help options. Everything else is positional or search - very frustrating and sometimes very non-informative.

Leonie has given good help - but realistically this should have been given by Apple before you used Icloud and lost documents.

Please give feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 9, 2015 7:26 AM in response to philipfrombrooklyn

If I lose my iPhone entirely, I can can buy a new one and replace everything it contained. Am I crazy to think something called iCloud Photo Library would serve as a permanent receptacle for my photos?

That is a very common misunderstanding, because many cloud services are working like this. Many are expecting iCloud to to be an off-site backup, but that is only true for mobile devices. For a Mac, include is meant as the central working storage.

Apr 10, 2015 2:50 AM in response to philipfrombrooklyn

What I am finding annoying is that it is an all or nothing thing. I see workarounds for retaining a local library, but it seems that what they want is for you to just bite the bullet and upload ALL of your photos. What I would like is to have a local library that I curate before uploading to all devices, that's the way it should be working, in my opinion. This switching between libraries is bull because there is no drag and drop method to go from local copy to iCloud library. I'm not amused.

So for now, I will use a local library and shared folders and that will be fine, I guess.

I'd also like to see handling of multiple iCloud libraries so that the family can curate all their albums from one computer. Ah well, iCloud has been disappointing since MobileMe days. iCould (have been) instead of iCloud.

Apr 10, 2015 6:35 AM in response to diebesbeute

The bit I don't get is on my iPhone I don't want the 3000 photos I have all there to have to search through I want to have them in a cloud storage and be able to look at them without them being on my iPhone. I don’t really want to have my storage managed by apple want to be able to choose which phots I have on my phone but know that all my photos are stored somewhere where I can get them. I am currently using Dropbox and Carousel which achieves this, this is like having a memory card for a Professional camera that never ever removes a photo. Why not give the option to have mobile devices be able to browse instead of this all or nothing thing. . I. I had paid to increase the storage of my iCloud thinking this was going to be a useful feature however since it’s not and since apple seems to have decided in incapable of managing my own devices storage so ill just pay someone else instead.

Apr 10, 2015 6:44 AM in response to philipfrombrooklyn

If you are on Yosemite on a mac, and are on IS08 on IPAD, IPHONE, IPOD -- then the Icloud is used to synchronize information between your devices.

If you are on lower levels of software or have IS08 on phone but not Yosemite on Mac - then Icloud does not work the same.

Personally - don't use Icloud - as I just have the Mac and have backups of my drives.

Giving feed back to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ is the only way to be heard by them - when you are unsatisfied with a product.

Apr 23, 2015 12:47 PM in response to philipfrombrooklyn

Nope. You're not the only one. I am ok with the ability to delete from all devices, and the cloud, I need to be able to control who can do that.

Without that ability, you will never be able to get rid of pictures you don't want. But I don't want someone else in my family inadvertently deleting all of our photos either. So some type of permissions would help.

We also use apple devices at the preschool we own. Teachers take pictures in all the rooms, photostream gets them to the office computer where they are stored for school use. Once they are copied to the office Mac, they can be deleted off the device. Works well.

But it is somewhat manual to have to periodically clean off each device when they fill up.

iCloud Photo Library sounds like a solution, but it would allow any employee to delete any photo ever taken.

Not good.

So for home, I would like the ability to not see a photo on my device, without deleting it from the library.

At work, I would like the ability (within restrictions) to dis-allow photo deleting from the library.

Just Sayin

Jim

Jul 29, 2015 1:08 PM in response to Jimbo435

This has been driving me crazy having downloaded 9,600 pictures on my iPhone. I think the message that pops up is wrong. For now anyway. I just deleted a picture from phone and it is still on iPad and iCloud. It wouldn't make sense not to be able to delete them? Take pic with phone. I took a picture of a piece of paper that said TEST on it. So, safe to say, all my pictures in iPhoto will remain. Crazy, the guy at the Apple store last night was a bit confused but i think we all are.

"This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all your devices" ***?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.