Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new photo app and iBooks Author

I updated to Mac Os-x 10.1.3 and when opening iBook Author, in the media picker under photos the new photo app is missing to pick photos.

Does anyone have a solution? or do I need to be patient for an update.

Brgds, Jelger

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 5:34 AM

I have the same problem and contacted Apple support. I was told they are aware of the problem and have replicated it themselves. The Senior Technician said to look our for an update to iBooks Author but there's no time scale!

10 replies

Apr 14, 2015 10:35 PM in response to jelger

I upgraded to the new Photo app with OS 10.10.3 and now several things are not working?

- Maps from books I previously had are not only different they are all screwed up. Arrows on the maps are no longer available or there?

- I can't move pages in the layout view.

- I can't move or swap photos in layout by dragging and dropping. You can copy and paste but thats really really dumb and difficult.

- The photo picker for a project is really really clunky now - it jumps about all over the show when you drag photos from it to the pages (frequently it snaps back to some other view and you loose your place). Its also really really slow to scroll and find what you're looking for.

Apr 19, 2015 4:17 AM in response to Frank Lowney

Hi,

i have similar issues with Etsy and Ebay photo uploaders, if you change anything in your photo library after you log into these sites the changes are not picked up and you cannot find the photos/albums.....nor does drag/drop work anymore.

Thanks for the tip of drag/drop to the desktop and then drag/drop into ebay/etsy .

Hope this will be fixed soon , is Apple actually monitoring these forums or is it better to raise a support call for this ??

Thanks

R.

Apr 22, 2015 1:35 AM in response to RP_99

I would raise a support call. Apple frequently state that they don't track problems via these forums. The more people who report it directly to Apple, the higher it should get in their priorities for fixes via an update. Apple support won't be able to solve this issue when you call (they have replicated it themselves and it's a "known issue") but more calls might make them take it seriously. I am usually patient with update problems but I can't believe Apple failed to check interoperability with its own software (Photo / iBooks Author)!

Apr 27, 2015 10:51 AM in response to jelger

OK some progress to report as a temporary fix.

It looks like when you install the Photo update the relationship between iBooks Author and your photos is broken because the media pane shows no images. I had the same issue as Jelger.

However, iPhoto is still in your applications folder so I tried opening it (as I prefer the ability to organise photos in the old program). To my surprise the act of opening iPhoto seemed to restore a link with Author. So now, when I open Author I get access restored to my iPhoto library and can use my old working method.

Of course, this won't last for ever. Apple will not support iPhoto any more so someday an update might affect it. Also, if Apple bring out a fix to link Author and the new Photo this would break the link I have re-established with iPhoto. I'm also concerned that an update linking Author to Photo will make navigation more difficult. iPhoto has a natural structure for finding images to put in books whereas Photo does not.

Anyway, for the time being everything works again..... I hope this helps.

Apr 30, 2015 12:44 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Just as a footnote.....

I've raised this issue with a Senior Support Technician and Executive Level in Ireland who say they have passed it on to software engineers in the USA.

Pixelmator took only 3 weeks to make sure that their third party Mac program worked with Photo.

Apple can't give any indication of when they will have two of their own programs (Photo / Author) working together, just that it might happen in some future update.

I guess that the difference is that Pixelmatr needs to keep customers on board while Apple can treat us as beta testers after public release!

Well done Pixelmator, at least!

Sep 7, 2015 1:41 AM in response to jelger

I have the same issue--and it is a problem with MANY apps. They can not access the new Photos app. I have found that if I have Photos open when I am working in iBook Author, I can copy from the menu bar in Photos and paste the photos into iBook author. With other programs I can not do this. I have to put the photo in a new folder and copy it from there into the app. Apple must know that this is a problem with their Photos app. In another discussion dealing with the same issue with iMovie (another Apple program) some people found that they could set the Photos library as the system library and this fixed the problem for them. I could not do this as this option is greyed out for me so I am still looking for some solution. Does Apple ever read these discussion boards and offer help?

The new photo app and iBooks Author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.