Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a password protected HDD

I have a portable drive that I would like to connect to my airport extreme, but it is passworded.

I have other HDD's plugged in and they all work 100%, but for some reason it doesn't even pick up this HDD.

Any ideas?

Mac OSX Journaled.

Thanks in advance

iMac, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:53 AM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:48 AM in response to ZacharyXander

How is the drive password protected?? How did you set that up?

There is a good chance the disk cannot be picked up by the AE because it cannot be accessed by the firmware.

The whole idea with a network drive is the network provides the protection.. so you will see you can set disk password in the airport utility.

So it may simply not allow the change..

But it can be something even simpler.. not all USB drives work.. the drive can work on the Mac but fail on the AE because it simply doesn't have a driver.

Tell us what drive it is, make and model.

The database is still growing but anyone who can add to it is greatly appreciated.

USB drive compatibility with Airport Routers. Help make database.

Apr 20, 2015 6:06 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the reply LaPastenague.

It was passworded through disc utility.

It is a WD HD, and I have a number of them already connected to my Airport, so I know that it is compatible.

I want to keep it passworded to access it as it has a ton of documents that I do not want my kids deleting by accident, but would like the convenience of accessing it from any laptop in the house.

Thanks again for your help

Apr 22, 2015 3:09 AM in response to ZacharyXander

It is simply not going to work..

Airport is not designed for NAS type work.. and the use of accounts on the Extreme.. which can be done.. and will give you full protection.. also stops you accessing all the existing files.. You need to set this up from scratch with empty disks..

What you can do is setup a virtual disk on the USB drive and password that.

You will need to copy all the files off the drive.. reformat it.. plug it into the extreme.. then create a disk image on it.

You can create DMG file or Sparsebundle..

Then copy your files to it. However the one limitation is that only one computer at a time can open the disk image.. it cannot be mounted from more than one computer.

Let me suggest to move forward.. buy a proper NAS... the introductory level devices like WD MyCloud are not expensive but offer hugely improved data controls than the AE with USB disks.. or go up to Synology etc and do it with full blown NAS.. but that will cost you.

Adding a password protected HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.