Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost the book I was reading on my iPad

I had a book disappear today - as I was reading it. Last night I upgraded Yosemite (10.10.3) & IOS (8.3).

In trying to debug my problem, I checked in the iBooks app on my Mac, and it opened that book to the current page. Then twice, I synchronized my iPad with all books checked on iTunes. Both times failed to get that book back. While doing this, I saw another book wanted an update, and told my iPad to update it.

Then I checked only the one book an synchronized "Selected books". Then I synchronized. Leaving my iPad icon in iTunes, I went to my iPad and saw two books, the one I told it to synchronize, and the one I told my iPad to update. I opened iBooks on my iPad again. There is only one book there, the book I updated.

Where's the book I'm reading? How do I get it back on my iPad? (I can still read it on my Mac - but who wants to do that?)

I just checked it for my iPhone, and synchronized - it showed up there!

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 8:37 AM

8 replies

Apr 9, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Howard Brazee

Have you tried a reset on the iPad ie hold the power and home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears? Are you able to delete the book from your Mac and download it again/transfer from iPhone to Mac? Where did you get the book? Did you pay actual money for it (normally most books have DRM and can only be opened on an app specific to the seller).

Apr 10, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Howard Brazee

After I got that message, the book disappeared from my iPad again. So I repeated the procedures a few times.

The book is still on my iPhone and my Mac's iBook apps.

Sometimes it would show up on the list of books for my iPad on iTunes. Sometimes iTunes would switch from all books to selected books.

Right now I see something I didn't see before. Some books show up greyed out with circles next to them.User uploaded file. But the book I'm having problems with is not there. Then I went back to the other part of iTunes where I select which books to sync to my iPad. It has "All books" selected. I checked "Selected books" in order to scroll down and see the book I want (Miles Errant). It is unchecked again.User uploaded file I wish I didn't have so much difficulty trying to include screen shots in this forum, we will see if those come through.

So I check that book again, synchronize again, look again, synchronize all again, etc. I don't expect anything will be different.

Done. I synchronized with that selected book sorted. Checked, it wasn't there. Went back to iTunes, and selected "All books", with "Books" scrolled down far enough for me to see this book. Miles Errant got unchecked.

I lost the book I was reading on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.