Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File's format too new for this application

I am trying to use FCP6, which I just installed, on my new MacBook Air. I have been editing in FCP6 for years on my iMac, and there are some projects I'd like to work on while I'm on the road, so I got a new MacBook for that purpose. From the iMac, I was using an external drive to capture the footage and the fcp file is also on the external drive. But when I hooked up the external drive to the new MacBook Air, I get the warning that "the file's format is too new to use with this application". How do I solve this? For what it's worth, the iMac is still on Mavericks, but the MacBook Air is on Yosemite. Does that make a difference?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 9:26 AM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2015 4:39 PM in response to kennyholl

How did you do the installation of FCP6 on your new computer?

If it was from your original install discs, you may need to update the FCP6 that is on your laptop to a later version of FCP.6.

On your iMac, open FCP and once open go to the menu Final Cut Pro > About Final Cut Pro and look at your exact version number.

Then do the same for your laptop.

You may want to try migrating FCP6 from your iMac to your new computer to get the correct version on the laptop.

MtD

Apr 9, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I did install it from the original discs. On my iMac, I have version 6.0.6, so I guess it's been updated. The version I installed into the new MacBook Air is version 6.0.1. So I assume that is the problem. The issue now is how to fix that. I tried doing a software update, but there was nothing there for FCP 6, since it hasn't been supported for years. Even if I return this computer (I just got it a couple weeks ago) and get an older one, how could I get the correct version to install?

File's format too new for this application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.