Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing an aperture library into existing photos library

Hello,

The plan is to export the photos in parts from my Aperture library (Geotagged in my case) as a new aperture library.

Then import this into an existing photos library.

This doesn't seem to work, Photos just creates a new separate photos library.

Is there a way to import multiple aperture libraries into the Photos app?

Brgds, Jelger

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 10:35 AM

12 replies

Apr 9, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Bog

Well only tried a small aperture library like 6 Gb. I'm now in the process of relocating all my masters to an external drive to free up my internal drive.

Then i'm going for the complete library 650Gb in total, I hope it will not crash then as yours

When it crashes does it give any error message a normal human can understand?

Apr 9, 2015 12:41 PM in response to jelger

I have a 35 GB Aperture library that worked fine. I attempt to open the other library and it starts "preparing library". The progress bar moves along and overtime it hits 23% it crashes. I get the error: "An unexpected error has occurred. An unexpected error occurred attempting to prepare your library."

It's not so unexpected now. The only option I have is quit and then Photo app disappears.

Apr 9, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Bog

Perhaps I misunderstood:

If you want to import Aperture Libraries into a Photos library you cannot do that. It has no merge feature.

If you want to migrate different Aperture Libraries to different Photos libraries, that's simple. Just open them with Photos.app

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

So, what you could do in iPhoto you can do in Photos. The extra power that was in Aperture (to import Libraries into each other) isn't there.

Sorry if I misunderstood

Apr 9, 2015 10:06 PM in response to Bog

Do you have any lost referenced files maybe? You could give it a try with checking.

Select all photos in the library an go to: file > Locate referenced files ...

This will check all your photos and gives a list of any referenced files and if they are found.

Maybe the photos app hangs on an unconnected referenced file. (just guessing)

Brgds, Jelger

Apr 10, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this post, but here goes.

My import from aperture did NOT go right. Hardly any of my photos are there. They're still all available in aperture so I'm not desperate yet. But now my aperture library file says it's been converted. I've tried everything but nothing works.

Is there a way to delete the existing photos library and re-import from aperture?

I really want to give photos a chance but for now my photos library is non-existent.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Importing an aperture library into existing photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.