Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod is disabled and iTunes is unable to connect.

So, my younger sister got an iPod 5th Generationa few months back, and so far, she's had absolutely no issues with it. But recently things have been rough for her, and my mother took the iPod away and asked for me to change the password on it. She ended up finding it a day later, and she tried to get into it by typing in as many number combinations she could possibly come up with. Turns out, she disabled the iPod to the point where it said to plug it into iTunes. Being an iPhone and iPad user myself, I know to always back up my products on my desktop iTunes account just in case, but for some reason, I never got around to backing her's up.

She's on a completely different Apple ID as me, so when she came to me with her disabled iPod, I knew I couldn't plug it into my iTunes account and have the problem be immediately solved. So, I downloaded iTunes on a different computer; once the download was completed, I plugged in her iPod and logged into her Apple ID. I was then able to download her music over iCloud, but I was unsuccessful with the apps and photos, but that isn't a huge deal.

So, my main issue is that I've plugged in her iPod to iTunes, but it still won't unlock. It keeps saying, on the desktop iTunes, that I have to enter the password on the iPod to be able to sync, but I can't do that because it's disabled.

I've tried restarting the iPod multiple times, and nothing has worked. Please help. I don't want to have to make a trip to Apple if I don't need to.

Thank you.

iPod touch

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 2:00 PM

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If problem what happens or does not happen and when in the instructions? When you successfully get the iPod in recovery mode and connect to computer iTunes should say it found an iPod in recovery mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2015 2:00 PM in response to SamStieren

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If problem what happens or does not happen and when in the instructions? When you successfully get the iPod in recovery mode and connect to computer iTunes should say it found an iPod in recovery mode.

iPod is disabled and iTunes is unable to connect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.