Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to 10.10.3 and now iPhoto won't open

I upgraded the OS 10.10.3 and now iPhoto won't open. It says "the version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store." However, when I go to the Mac App Store, there is no iPhoto.

I don't know what version of iPhoto I was running. I believe it was the most recent (9.6)

I also noticed that the iPhoto icon has a circle with a line through it User uploaded file

The support article says I can use iPhoto concurrently with the new photos

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 10:10 AM

99 replies

Apr 9, 2015 10:24 AM in response to larrylu

Unfortunately you need iPhoto 9.6.1 to run with Yosemite 10.10.3. It was available prior to the release of 10.10.3.

Your options are to revert the OS X back to system you were running before upgrading to 10.10.3 or use Photos to convert your library to a Photos library and use it.

These Apple documents can help you get started with Photos:

Photos Help

Photos

Get started with Photos for OS X - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2015 11:23 AM in response to larrylu

Yes. Since the released 10.10.3 yesterday and released Photos the iPhoto 9.6.1 version has been pulled from the App Store. This has put a lot of users who didn't upgrade to 9.6.1 between a rock and a hard spot.

If you boot Machine with the Option key held down you might be able to see what version the Recovery volume is. If it's at 10.10.2 you could boot into the Recovery volume and restore 10.10.2. Otherwise you'll have to erase the hard drive and restore the system and user files from the backup of the HD made before the upgrade to 10.10.3.

Apr 9, 2015 11:29 AM in response to larrylu

I have the same issue: updated from OSX 10.10.2 to 10.10.3, which killed iPhoto.

I have v.9.6, but apparently 9.6.1 is needed; I keep all my software updated, but never got an update notification.

Any way, I get the same 'dead' icon as above:

User uploaded file

I can launch the program, but then I get:

User uploaded file

And when I go searching the App Store (Belgium), I get:

User uploaded file

Please, can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of iPhoto 9.6.1, which 'should' be compatible with my OSX (10.10.3).

Before updating the OS (from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3) I did make a clone on an external HD. I have now booted from that external HD, but nowhere can I find iPhoto 9.6.1, so that I can update.

Apr 9, 2015 2:45 PM in response to nobbse

Thanks for the suggestion, nobbse. Now... what I did do was check the App Store, tab Purchases, where I did find iPhoto (with a date of 2013!) and a button UPDATE, which didn't do anything.

I had meanwhile reported this on another Mac forum, and someone there was so kind to help me out. I now have v.9.6.1 and it indeed works. I will switch over to Photos (I have meanwhile already converted my Library), but do want to hold onto iPhoto for some time.

I understand it takes time to get acquainted with new software, but I am not impressed with Photos. It looks even inferior to iPhoto, and it should replace both iPhoto AND Aperture? Luckily, my version of Aperture (v.3.6) still works, though I realize it's "end of the line". What a shame.

Apr 10, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Hi Alan - I interpret my issue to be identical to Larry's. Hence I didn't consider it hijacking.

I have an old iPhoto and just installed Photos.app

I see:

> Please upgrade your library “iPhoto Library” using the free iPhoto Library Upgrader available from Apple.

I tried the upgrader - it completed but didn't change the error message after running it.

Hence being about to upgrade my old iPhoto to run 9.6.1 would seem to be appropriate.

Apr 10, 2015 9:20 AM in response to mrjcleaver

What version of iPhoto do you currently have?

The only one that will run with 10.10.3 is iPhoto 9.6.1.

I tried the upgrader - it completed but didn't change the error message after running it.

Then do the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - apply Option #4, Rebuild Database.

Updated to 10.10.3 and now iPhoto won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.