Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get "Cannot connect to Server" message when checking yahoo email account

My yahoo email account won't update with new messages as of two days ago. I updated my iphone 6 to the latest IOS - 8.3.1 today and it had no affect on the issue. I reset my phone, deleted and re-added my yahoo email account several times and started getting a message - "Cannot get Mail - connection to the server failed". I had deleted and added my yahoo email account through the yahoo mail wizard (Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calenders/Accounts/Add Account/"Yahoo")- so as a work around I added the email through the : Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calenders/Accounts/Add Account/"Other" - this method worked in that I added my yahoo email account and i manually entered incoming mail server host name as "imap.mail.yahoo.com" which allowed the IOS mail program to connect to the yahoo mail server for incoming emails. The downside is that it doesn't allow me to have my contacts, calendars, reminders from my yahoo mail to be seen/synched as it does when you add it through the Yahoo wizard.

The other observation I had with regards to this issue - is my Ipad 2 did not experience any issues with my yahoo email - i was able to check all my latest emails, etc. with no updating issues. I have not updated my ipad to the most recent IOS 8.3.1

Has anyone experienced this and does anyone else have a solution? It appears that the wizard somehow has a bad link/address for the incoming mail server based on my work around solution.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 11:25 AM

16 replies

Jan 29, 2017 2:33 PM in response to Hendo73

i had this problem till just now. the problem is yahoo updated its securety and less secure app like the ios mail app need permission if you have recently been notified by yahoo to change your password. heres is what you do:

1. log into your yahoo acct.

2. mouse over your name plate when the pop up menu appears click "account info"
3. on the account info page click on the account security tab.
4. scroll down to see "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" option and turn it on it should change blue.
5. go ahead into the ios mail app or into mail setting and add your accounts if you have deleted them and log in like normal. you should be all set.

this has solved my issue on my Iphone4

Apr 9, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Hendo73

I have had numerous issues with Yahoo mail recently. Same messages you are receiving, slow loading, not displaying all of my mail, etc. A friend contacted me and is having the exact issue as you - can't access yahoo email on his phone. He als tried deleting and re-adding the yahoo acocunt with no luck.

I'll be keeping on eye on this thread.

Apr 9, 2015 1:38 PM in response to tybme

Tymbe,

As I mentioned in my post - I did find a work around, which is adding my yahoo email account via "other" in lieu of "Yahoo" in the add accounts section of the Apple mail app. When doing that you just need to enter in the incoming email server address which is "imap.mail.yahoo.com". It's been working fine since I've added the account that way - you just don't have access to your yahoo contacts, schedule, and calendar with the work around solution.

I actually have my yahoo email account added in both manners - and the issue is still there with the Yahoo wizard method. It's obviously an issue with link to the yahoo mail server - as I'm unable to access any emails in any of my email account folders, but see the email folders.

Apr 10, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Hendo73

I have the same issue you described but it's on my iPad Air iOS version 8.3. I used the same workaround that you described by adding Yahoo as an "other" account. Just to add some confusion, my iPhone 5s is NOT experiencing this issue and it's on 8.3 as well. It's frustrating, something always breaks in these updates!

Sep 10, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Hendo73

Hi

both my yahoo and ymail accounts are not updating. I have tried airplane mode and restart .. I've now deleted the accounts and tried to re-add and it's saying server not connecting.

i am now trying through other and it asking for a userename in the income mail

server part and it is not optional it's required? What do I put in there?

when when put the imap.mail.yahoo.com in the incoming host part

kind regards

Oct 7, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Hendo73

I'm having problems too. I just got the 6s and my husband just got 6s+. He upgraded from a nexus 5 while I had an iphone 5c. Both our mail servers continually say can't get mail/can't connect to server though I am able to get messages. I just have a lot of trouble at different times getting new messages and the app itself won't stay up to date unless I'm manually telling it to get mail or waiting until it realized I don't have new messages (it can take a long time). I have a corporate exchange account, hotmail and gmail accounts. Hotmail definitely is the worst. My husband only has hotmail set up on his and he is having a lot of trouble.

If anyone can help, we would be grateful! Not sure what to do here. We both have 9.0.2

Oct 8, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Amyrene89

I am having the same issue. New 6s+ on 9.02 with 3xYahoo, 1xGmail, 1xiCloud and a Hotmail account. Have tried deleting all accounts and adding individually but cannot track down a particular account that is causing the problem. Strangely, all is OK on home Wi-Fi, BT Wi-Fi and cellular but work Wi-Fi fails. Even have issues when adding account through the wizard on work Wi-Fi. Spent ages chatting to AppleCare yesterday and they tell me it is my Wi-Fi that's the issue. I agree that seems the common denominator but others using iPhone 6 on the same Wi-Fi have no problems.

My Android works no problem..

Get "Cannot connect to Server" message when checking yahoo email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.