Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad keeps rebooting itself after updating to iOS 8.3

Just updated an iPad 3 to iOS 8.3 from iOS 8.2 . Update took a while to install (over 20 minutes) and then the Apple logo appeared for a bit then the screen went black for about 10 minutes. The device was fine for a while and then started rebooting itself, hung on the Apple logo for about 10 minutes and now suddenly it came back. All apps were up to date. The device had not had any issues prior to the update. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 12:04 PM

24 replies

Apr 20, 2015 10:27 PM in response to CarlAVII

No, this is definitely an iOS 8.3 bug, Allen. I have an iPad mini (original, 24/12 old) and an iPhone 5 (not S, 18/12 old). Updated both from 8.2 to 8.3. I keep them and the apps up to date and run a tight ship.

Since the update, the iPhone has been behaving normally.

However, starting immediately after the update, the iPad has been rebooting: when you plug it into the power and it goes to sleep, it reboots itself. This NEVER ONCE happened before the 8.3 update -- and I think I started with this iPad on iOS5 or at least 6, with all the updates inbetween. If you want to use it again shortly after plugging it in, you have to wait about five-ten minutes (as other have reported). So far, it has always rebooted successfully. But you do have to put in your passcode in response to "you have to enter your passcode upon rebooting" message; and tell it to trust your current computer connect once again.

It just now rebooted itself once again when plugged into the computer USB port, while in the middle of a sync (the screen went to sleep). Not happy about that; potential to damage data.

I confirm: this NEVER happened before 8.3, and it now reliably happens EVERY TIME I plug the iPad into power and it goes to sleep. I have three power sources (computer USB, individual Apple charger, aftermarket reserve battery charter) and it happens with all of them.

As far as I can tell, it only reboots itself once per charger-plugin, and doesn't do so again until you unplug it and plug it back in again (somewhat confident, but not 100% sure, of that).

Hope that helps. The bug needs squashing, and soon.

Apr 22, 2015 4:32 PM in response to nfa12345

This is getting silly! I have an iPad 2 NEVER had any issues prior to doing the update to 8.3 Nw my iPad keeps rebooting all the time, at first it was about every 4 or 5 hours now as of today it is just constantly rebooting, it took 5 hours to do a full iTunes backup because of the rebooting all the time.

I am getting sick of seeing and hearing this is a hardware issue. sorry but it worked fine prior to this update.

I have restored it and still it is horrible, I cant even get enough time to shut it down before it reboots.

Where is the fix Apple? this is silly how do you expect people to work if they can't keep the unit running? I am at the point that I wont do any update ever again.

Apr 25, 2015 7:32 AM in response to JimStearns

Had the same issue, got horrible went from rebooting once or twice a day to the point where it took me 75 mi. To do an iTunes backup due to constant rebooting. The guys at the Apple Store told me it was a hardware issue with out even looking at my iPad!

Apple will be mad at me but so what? I found the hack to set it back to 8.2 now no more issues... So facts, no issues before 8.3 on an iPad 2 Verizon CDMA unit. Updated to 8.3 had constant rebooting, took to Apple Store after restoring unit three times via iTunes told it was hardware issue and I should buy a new iPad. On a large tried resetting back to 8.2 since I had nothing to loose... FiXED the issue... So not hardware and Apple just went way down on my respect list for trying to force me to buy a new unit to make up for their software mistake!

you guys have a bug end of story!

Apr 26, 2015 8:40 AM in response to SLTP

Symptoms here are identical to my iPhone4S, so hopefully this can add some value ... I seem to have this problem as well, and only after iOS 8.3. Repeatedly reboots while charging/connected to Mac. My workaround which seems to work: ensure the screen is turned ON while charging/connected. Go to Settings>General>Auto-Lock, set to "Never". Then turn down the brightness all the way to save your battery power. You can revert to your original Auto-Lock setting when done charging. Hope this helps. We need a fix for this annoying bug asap.

May 10, 2015 4:01 PM in response to SLTP

Same here. Had no problems with this prior to the ios 8.3 update. My iPad 3 IMMEDIATELY started rebooting every time I plug it in. In fact, there has apparently not been an iCloud back-up due to this since the installation until I realized the reboot was preventing the back-up and started doing it manually. My iPhone 5s is rebooting (also right after the update - they both started the same night as I did the update) as well but it only seems to happen when plugged in at night (don't know if it is happening at a soecific time at night).

LIke many others, I am very frustrated with how the issues with ios 8 have been handled. It really causes me to question whether Apple has intentionally thrown support for older devices out the window and figures they will force us into new buys (I have an iPad2 my grandson uses, an iPad3 and an iPhone 5s For me). I can't say that I am motivated to buy another Apple device if there is no intent to support them after a year.

May 14, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Ringlec

I too had this problem after having updated to 8.3 on my iPhone 5. I don't know if the fact that minutes after updating, i got a message from ATT asking me to update my carrier settings, which I also did, played a role. My phone would go into a cycle of multiple reboots if it was charging while in sleep mode, but would not happen if kept awake during the charging period. The phone would also get very warm during this time. My problem was solved by resetting the Network settings only, so there does seem to be some interplay with the carrier/Network settings and the new IOS that was causing the problem. Good luck everybody!

May 20, 2015 1:05 PM in response to SLTP

My iPad 3 64GB wi-fi/cellular AT&T unit has the same issue.

I was VERY close to buying a new unit before I decided to look up the issue; so yeah, they almost got.

The unique aspect of my issue is that it reboots itself every few minutes and/or locks up when I try to use it - without being plugged in at all.

This happens for the simplest of tasks, even for scrolling in the Settings app, including the Usage tab! Invariably, after locking up for about 5 minutes, it will reboot again to the Apple logo and sit there for as long as it likes (10 mins?) and then complete the reset and start the cycle again.

Although I am not as precisely confident as some of the posters above, it is VERY odd that this started happening so close to the 8.3 update. Equally odd is that none of the big Blogs has noted this phenomena. Surely all of this all of a sudden can't be a coincidence, eh?

May 20, 2015 8:40 PM in response to eGanges

I agree with eGanges that it is very odd that there has not been more comment about this issue of rebooting after updating to 8.3. I hope that I agree with the Ganges that it is very odd that there has not been more comment about this issue of rebooting after updating to 8.3. I hope that Everyone who has experienced this problem will notify Apple support as apparently Apple does not monitor this community site. I am confident Apple will fix this problem in their next update to iOS but let's just hope that they are aware of the problem.

May 27, 2015 8:03 PM in response to SLTP

Same thing happened to all my three devices: iPad Air, iPad 4 and iPhone 5s. Out of the blue, the devices would just reboot itself, which have never happened before. When it started first on my iPhone 5s, I thought it could be the phone hardware issue. But then it started to happen on my other two iPads as well and this cannot be hardware issue. Unfortunately, I can't replicate the issue as it just reboot randomly (but not frequently to the point of every hour or every day) when I unlock my screen, take call with my iPhone, etc. The main point is, it has never happened before and it only started recently.

iPad keeps rebooting itself after updating to iOS 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.