Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes Library

I currently have my iTunes library on a Dell laptop running Windows Vista. I am looking at replacing this laptop with a MacBook Pro and want to find out the best way to transfer my iTunes library over. Having looked into this it seems that I need to copy my iTunes media folder to my external hard drive, then copy it to the MacBook. My issue is finding out where the iTunes media folder is located. In iTunes (Edit > Preferences > Advanced) it says it is stored in C\Users\Public\Music. When I look at this path it is actually C\Users\Public\Public Music. The Public Music folder contains folders relating to all my Artists but there is no specific ITunes media folder. Is it therefore just a case of copying all these Artist folders to an external hard drive, then copying to the MacBook? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 1:43 PM

Open iTunes, choose to organize the library, right-click any song in iTunes, show it in the Windows Explorer, and navigate up to the iTunes folder. Copy that as a whole.

If it contains rented movies, those won’t play on a different computer.

(125709)

31 replies

Apr 10, 2015 10:50 AM in response to Niel

I am in the exact same situation in that I want to move iTunes music from my Dell Studio/Vista to new Mac Pro. Not great with this stuff so let me show you what I see so I can help you understand. iTunes >Album Artwork>iTunes Music>Mobile Applications>Previous iTunes Libraries>Playlists. Please walk me through the steps for transferring my music to my Seagate external drive and then to my new Mac Book. Thanks. Don't forget, Not Good at this stuff so more explaining is better than less.

Apr 23, 2015 3:08 PM in response to nlcartabiano

Take a look at Make a split library portable. As long as the library is in the shape on the right you can copy the entire iTunes folder from one machine to the other, by way of an intermediary copy on an external drive or over a network, and everything should work. From the look of things your library could do with a little preparation first.

tt2

Apr 20, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Niel

Ok, I now have my MacBook and I've tried setting up iTunes from my external HDD with mixed success!

Because I want to be able to share my music with other user accounts, the first thing I did was move the iTunes media folder to my Public folder (as per official Apple support). I then went to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and changed the path to reflect this.

I then added all my music (approx. 10,000 songs) from the external HDD by opening iTunes and selecting File > Add to Library. All my music went into iTunes no problem, but none of my Playlists were visible or any other information e.g. Plays, Last Played.

This is where I wasn't clear on what to do next! What I did do was transfer the backed-up iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files from the external HDD to Macintosh HD/Users/Euan/Music/iTunes. These overwrote the files already present. I then quit iTunes and when I restarted it updated my library. All my Playlists and Plays, Last Played information was now visible. Unfortunately I now had the '!' against approx. 730 of my songs and it seemed the only way of locating them was one by one!

Instead I erased everything and decided to start the process again. This time I've added all my music, again without any issue. My Playlists are present but they are empty, and I have no Plays, Last Played information.

Please can you tell me exactly what I need to do with the backed-up iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files from the external HDD. And are there any other files from my Dell laptop that I need to back-up and transfer too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2015 3:08 PM in response to TheAirGuitarist

You've mixed up several different procedures:

• changing the iTunes Media folder location setting in Edit > Preferences > Advanced does not tell iTunes where your media is located, only where new media is to be put and what folders to use if consolidating a library.
  • using File > Add Folder to Library... only copies media into your library - this does nothing with respect to playlists, ratings, etc.

You need to follow the steps in tt2's user tip on Make a split library portable to copy the complete library.

When you say "I want to be able to share my music with other user accounts" do you mean that you want the complete library, including playlists, etc., to be available to different users, or for each user to have separate playlists that reference a shared collection of media files? The former is easier to manage - move the complete library to the Public folders, i.e., C:\Users\Public\Music\iTunes where that folder has a structure like this:

User uploaded file

and the iTunes Library.itl file is the one copied from your previous library. Then, in each user account, hold down SHIFT while starting iTunes and when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library..., navigate to C:\Users\Public\Music\iTunes and select the iTunes Library.itl file in that folder.

One thing to note with this approach: only one user can be using iTunes at a time, so it is a good idea to disable fast user switching in Windows to prevent this.

If you want to have each user having separate playlists but shared media then each user account will need a separate iTunes Library.itl file ... though I'm not sure of the merits of this as users will not be able to see any additions to the media folders made by users, and may end up with inconsistencies if other users make changes to the shared media.

Apr 21, 2015 1:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Having read the advice above, I thought it would be wise to go back to my Dell laptop to see if the iTunes folder structure resembles that given above.

Here's what I found...

In C:\Users\Euan\Music\iTunes - all files and folders are present, with the exception of the iTunes Media folder.

In C:\Users\Public\Public Music - all my Artist folders etc. are present, but these are directly within the Public Music folder. Again, there is no iTunes Media folder.

So do I now just do the following to have the iTunes folder resembling that given above?

• Create an iTunes Media folder within C:\Users\Euan\Music\iTunes
  • Move all my Artist folders etc. from C:\Users\Public\Public Music to C:\Users\Euan\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media
  • Back-up the iTunes folder to my external HDD in readiness for moving to MacBook

Many thanks.

Apr 21, 2015 2:22 PM in response to TheAirGuitarist

A possible rule of thumb is that you never move media by hand unless it is already inside a portable library folder and you are moving the library as a whole.

The easiest way to get from where you are now to where you want to be might be this:

1. Copy iTunes folder to the root of the external drive, e.g. as E:\iTunes. (You can adjust the drive letters if my guess is wrong).
  2. Shift-start iTunes and connect to the new copy of the database at E:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl.
  3. Check that the media plays.
  4. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced click the reset button for the media folder, or manually change the path to E:\iTunes\iTunes Media.
  5. If iTunes offers to consolidate the library say no.
  6. Now go to File > Library > Organize Library... and tick both Consolidate Files and Rearrange Files or the first only if the second option is greyed out. Click OK.
  7. When all files have been copied the iTunes folder on the external drive is a portable version of your library.

OS cannot natively write to NTFS drives, but it can read them. If your external drive is in NTFS format you need to copy the library to another drive when you get it to the Mac. You can either copy the iTunes folder into the default User > Music folder replacing what is there, or place it elsewhere and option-start-iTunes to connect to it on some other path.

Note: In Windows if you paste one folder into a location where there is an existing folder of the same name, then Windows Explorer will offer to merge the contents of the two folders. On OSX the new folder simply replaces the older one discarding all of the contents.

tt2

Apr 22, 2015 3:50 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the update.

Assuming I am starting this process from scratch then, please can you clarify the following?

3. Check that the media plays.

If I’ve only copied the iTunes folder to the external HDD and not and not any of my music (which is in Public Music as mentioned above), will there be any media to play?

4. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced click the reset button for the media folder, or manually change the path to E:\iTunes\iTunes Media.

How can I change the path to E:\iTunes\iTunes Media if there is no iTunes Media folder to start with (as mentioned above)?

Apologies for so many questions, but I really want to try and understand this before I start.

Thanks for your patience!

Apr 22, 2015 3:09 PM in response to TheAirGuitarist

You could go through the steps of making the library portable on the PC, then copy it to the external drive, which also means starting over to some extent. If your media folder is iTunes standard layout and has already been copied to the portable drive then there are possibilities for optimising the number of files that have to be copied, but they take a good deal of explaining and there is scope for it to go wrong which is why I've suggested an easier route.

The library is a list of references to the media. When you clone the library files to a new folder it should remain connected to the media.

The reset button should create the necessary folder and change the setting to point to it.

tt2

Moving iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.