Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 iMAC running 10.10.2 won't accept or play commercial DVD movie?

I have recently installed OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 on my late 2009 21.5 iMac. I have just tried to play a movie for the first time in a long time. I stream from netflix from time to time but this is the first commercial DVD I have put in in a year or so. Anyway, I put the disk in the slot and the computer accepts it for a short time and then ejects the disk. Nothing ever shows on the desk top to indicate a disk was inserted. I don't remember what application I used to play movies with. I thought I just popped them in and they ran. I thought perhaps it was Quick time that I used to use so I started that from applications I get some sort of iCloud version that I don't understand. If some kind person could tell me what is going on it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), iOS 8.1.2, iMac running newly installed OS X 1

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 3:55 PM

5 replies

Apr 9, 2015 5:59 PM in response to alinbend

I don't know what's going on with your Super Drive, but you might have better success with a better and faster player - that's also free. VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

is the best, most well-supported player out there, and many use of instead of Apple's software. It's that good.

If the player still doesn't work, the issue is more complicated.

1. Make sure you're completely up to date with your software. If you're not, it's possible your player won't work.

2. Clean up your Super Drive. Dust can accumulate in a Super Drive over the years. You'll want a DVD lens cleaner that you pop into your Super Drive slot. Maxell and Memorex sell them, and they're well under $10.

Chime in with your results!

Apr 27, 2015 8:41 PM in response to alinbend

This has also been happening to me since I upgraded to Yosemite. The computer will try to read a DVD for 5-10 seconds, and then it will pop it out. The thing is, it will accept software DVDs without any problems, and it will run a few odd foreign DVDs without problems - so I know that the superdrive is working. It's clearly a software issue related to the system upgrade and it's very frustrating. I wish that Apple would release an system upgrade to fix this.

May 9, 2015 11:44 AM in response to alinbend

It also makes me ... I think it has the most trouble when updating to Yosemite. Imac 2009-2010.Red and green dots frozen frequent reboots etc. I have not too tired ... It would update sofwtvare.Reset pram smc helping .... If I knew that jake will be problems , so it does not update on Yosemite ... Think i stare at Imac . I apologize in advance for writing text not speak English .

2009 iMAC running 10.10.2 won't accept or play commercial DVD movie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.