Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get iPhoto for Yosemite

I have just upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite (10.10.3), and want to continue using iPhoto: I may get into Photos later, but right now I don't want to go up the learning curve or risk my photo library to Photos.

When I try to open iPhoto, I get a message telling me that my version (9.5.1) isn't compatible with Yosemite, and I should go to the App Store for a free upgrade. Upon following the provided link, I get a message that the requested item (iPhoto) isn't available on the Canadian Store (which is where I go as I live in Canada). So it looks like I am stuck.

Is there an updated version of iPhoto for use with Yosemite available, and how can I get to (presumably) a different App Store to access it?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), i7 2.8Ghz, 12 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 6:56 PM

As iPhoto is discontinued you can'r get the updates anymore.

What has worked for some people:

Look on your Purchases List at the App Store. Is iPhoto there? If so, it will be the latest version, so put the 9.5.1 version in the trash and then download at.

6 replies

May 25, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

I don't understand the last sentence of your response.

"Look on your Purchases List at the App Store. Is iPhoto there? If so, it will be the latest version, so put the 9.5.1 version in the trash and then download at."

Is that sentence incomplete or does "at" stand for something. What exactly do I upload and from where.

I also am in Canada and get the same message that the original poster described.

I also have just recently upgraded to Yosemite and can't currently access iPhoto. I am afraid of losing my photos.

May 25, 2015 7:57 AM in response to raybatch

That's the problem with old threads:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Can't get iPhoto for Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.