Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverting to iPhoto after Photos migration

Does anyone know if it is ok to delete the new Photos library from the Pictures folder after you've migrated your iPhoto library to Photos? This is the situation I'm in - I migrated my library to Photos but I HATE it. I am very invested in Events and being able to review each new batch of photos before categorizing them into the appropriate events, and with this new app it's like everything is in a giant shoebox, it seems to include all my Photo Stream pictures in my library before I'm ready (I typically delete a lot of dud pictures every time I import, now they are all mixed in automatically and I have to remember how far back I've gone through and culled), and there's no way to tell which pictures haven't been categorized into an event yet. Worst of all, there's no way to hide photos from all views. Not only are hidden albums/events not even a thing anymore, Photos "conveniently" makes a whole new album of all the pictures I didn't want anyone to see. So now instead of me being the only one who would know where to look for hidden photos/Events in my library when they were unhidden, they're all collected in one place at the top level of my albums view. Why anyone would want an automatic, top-level album of all photos in an entire library that were meant not to be see, I don't know. Seems to defeat the entire privacy/security purpose of the Hide feature. Not to mention, anyone can still see all hidden photos when scrolling through the Albums view.

Long story short, I am RUNNING back to iPhoto for as long as Apple allows it to be used. Now, I know that any changes I make to the iPhoto library won't carry over automatically to Photos. I'm fine with that as I don't intend to use Photos until I'm forced to. However, I know that at some point I will be forced to use it, and at that point its library will be (hopefully) several years out of date. Since Photos creates symbolic links to the photo files, I know I could easily have deleted the iPhoto library when I migrated to Photos, but does that work both ways? I guess my question is, can I delete the Photos library I have now, keep working with my iPhoto library until iPhoto is killed completely, and then re-import the entire library back into Photos? Or do my photo files actually now live in the Photos library package instead of the iPhoto library package and deleting the Photos library will delete all my photos?

Any clarification on my options would be appreciated.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 6:29 PM

480 replies

Feb 24, 2017 5:43 AM in response to mystwillow

Haven't read through all replies so maybe what I'm about to write has been posted earlier.

I had the same issue. Really upset by some "features" i Photos and wanted to reverse to iPhoto. Read a post by user "chuckles85" which probably was correct. Regretfully I didn't understand anything of her/his post and it didn't help me solving the practical puzzle of reverting at all.

So, I did a test, succeeded and proved to be a very simple operation:

1. Open Photos app. Select "All photos" in the left menu.

2. Select all photos by Cmnd + a

3. Go to File -> Export -> Export Unmodified Originals For XXXX Items

4. In window that pops up: select desired options, create a folder and hit "Export".

When the export has completed, open iPhoto and simply drag the files and folders into it.

Hope this helps....

Feb 24, 2017 3:11 PM in response to Yer_Man

The photos ended up in iPhoto exactly as organised as they were in Photos app. So, regarding "organisation", your statement is completely wrong. Regarding metadata, I haven't seen any errors either. Edits? I don't know what you mean. If you mean that edited and saved photos (like when changing light, contrast, etc.) won't propagate but that the original photo, without edits, will be exported, then you're almost correct. But there's the option to export the edited version instead of the original.

Feb 24, 2017 11:29 PM in response to Community User

The photos ended up in iPhoto exactly as organised as they were in Photos app.

What happened to your albums and folders? Anybody who invested a lot of work into creating custom albums will be disappointed.

Regarding metadata, I haven't seen any errors either.

If you exported the originals, what happened to your titles, descriptions, keywords, places?

but that the original photo, without edits, will be exported, then you're almost correct. But there's the option to export the edited version instead of the original.

But you advised to export the original:

"3. Go to File -> Export -> Export Unmodified Originals For XXXX Items"

And that is the crux of downgrading by exporting. We get either the originals without metadata and edits, or the edited versions with metadata and edits, but without the ability to revert to the high quality original. If we export both - version and original, the two will have lost the connection and we will have two photos for each photo, not properly paired as original and edited version.

Downgrading by exporting should be the last ditch resort, if we cannot restore the previous iPhoto Library from a backup. And if there is really no other option, I would always include the advice to keep and backup the Photos library we just just reverted, so we will be able to look up the paired originals and edited versions in Photos.

Feb 24, 2017 11:43 PM in response to Community User

The photos ended up in iPhoto exactly as organised as they were in Photos app. So, regarding "organisation", your statement is completely wrong

So, you had done no organisation? Fine. But for folks who have done you need to warn them that this work will be lost. If someone has made Albums, Smart albums, Folders and so on, all that is lost by your method. That's completely correct.

Regarding metadata, I haven't seen any errors either

Read what I wrote. I said 'added metadata' - that is metadata that you added in Photos. Again, if you didn't add any, no problem for you, but again, you need to warn others, who may have.

I don't know what you mean. If you mean that edited and saved photos (like when changing light, contrast, etc.) won't propagate but that the original photo, without edits, will be exported, then you're almost correct

Almost? I think you'll find 'absolutely' is the word you're looking for. Happy to help.

But there's the option to export the edited version instead of the original

There is, but then you lose the option to revert to the original, the non-destructive editing feature, which, after all is the key feature of these apps. So, more loss.

Again, my point isn't that this didn't work for you, but that you should warn other users when what you suggest leads to dataloss.

Apr 9, 2015 6:47 PM in response to mystwillow

I guess my question is, can I delete the Photos library I have now, keep working with my iPhoto library until iPhoto is killed completely, and then re-import the entire library back into Photos? Or do my photo files actually now live in the Photos library package instead of the iPhoto library package and deleting the Photos library will delete all my photos?

Any clarification on my options would be appreciated.

This is all you should have posted. It helps to just get to the point.

Yes, you delete any Photos library you want. If you want to use iPhoto and its library then so be it. Keep in mind that if you did not make a backup of your iPhoto Library before it was imported into Photos, then the library you still have needs Photos even if you use iPhoto. The migrated iPhotos Library can only be used with the data already there. You cannot add to or change existing photos.

Apr 9, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Kappy

I don't think this answered my question at all...you start out saying I can delete any Photos library I want, but then say that the iPhoto library I still have needs Photos. So, if I delete my Photos library, will iPhoto still have any pictures in it or will I have deleted all my actual photo files?

Also, why do you say I can't add to or change existing photos in my iPhoto library? I know that any additions or changes won't sync to Photos, but I've already added more photos to iPhoto with no problem.

All I want to know is if, at some point in the future, I can re-import my iPhoto library into Photos from scratch, over or instead of what's already there. Basically I want to take back the migration that was already done and have Photos re-import my whole iPhoto library the next time I use it, because I plan to keep adding pictures in iPhoto. I know that if I delete the Photos library the app will ask me to locate the system library again, but I want to be sure that if I delete the Photos library, I'm not actually losing any data and will still have all my pictures accessible in iPhoto for the time being.

Apr 9, 2015 10:14 PM in response to mystwillow

The answer given prior is not accurate. Disregard it.

When you launch Photos for the first time it looks to the iPhoto library listing (provided by the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file located in your ~/library directory) and asks what library you want to use. When you choose a library for Photos to use it creates a hard link to that library and pulls data from it and creates it's own new Photos library file for all future additions/imports etc. done by Photos. When this happens Photos changes the iPhoto library extension. However, if you were to then launch iPhoto it'll prompt you that you've opened and adopted the library into Photos. If you choose to continue using iPhoto instead of launching Photos it'll show you the entire contents of that library and change the file extension back to its original .photolibrary state. Now all actions are totally separate actions between the two applications to the library. Adding/modifying content in iPhoto to library will not reflect in Photos. On flip side any additions in Photos will be reflected in the new Photos Library, not the iPhoto LIbrary file.

You can now at this point use iPhoto to access the library. You can, if you wish, remove the photos library (DONT REMOVE THE iPHOTO LIBRARY) file created in the same directory of the iPhoto Library. Later in time if you are unable to use iPhoto or finally decide to use Photos for whatever reason you can have Photos adopt your library from iPhoto again.

Apr 10, 2015 3:32 PM in response to mystwillow

Exactly my issues in your first paragraph, the ability to review and edit photos into events and locations sorely missed. The Places option gone too as far as I can see. I've lost the organisation of 11000 photos which I've undertaken over the last five years in favour of some stream of consciousness mish mash which seems rigid and inflexible; the very reasons I moved to Mac for the intuitive, flexible and convenient organisation possible in iPhoto all gone. iPhoto felt professional in use and application, this feels all Facebook.

Several people in various places saying that iPhoto is still in the applications folder and can be used but mine has the grey 'no entry' sign over it and when I try to open it I'm told the version isn't compatible with Yosemite and I need the updated version but the updated version not available in the UK store. Gutted.

Apr 10, 2015 4:37 PM in response to Richard Bowes

I converted my wife's photos to Photos and she wants to revert to iPhoto. I found that in Pictures her original iPhoto library was there. When I doubled clicked on this library it opened iPhoto and here we were back in iPhoto as before. I now intend deleting the Photos file, and seeing if I can delete the Photos software.

But before deleting anything I will back up there current iPhoto file/library

Reverting to iPhoto after Photos migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.