Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBO Now crashes every time I start to play content

Every time I start to play content on the new HBO Now app it crashes and restarts the Apple TV. After restart, I can play HBO content for random periods of time (sometimes only a couple minutes, sometimes the entire piece of content will play) before it crashes again. This evening it's started to crash and not restart. The screen just goes black and doesn't respond to any controls. I'm forced to unplug the power cable from the Apple TV and plug it back in to get it to work again. Does anyone have these issues with the new HBO Now App?

I'm not sure which Apple TV I have, it's a couple years old and running 6.2.1 software.

P.S. I have similar issues with the ABC app.

Apple TV, Other OS, 6.2.1

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:26 PM

22 replies

Jun 7, 2015 4:39 PM in response to wavehowie

This started happening to me recently (in the last week?). I have a gen 2 Apple TV and a gen 3 Apple TV. The crashing appears to only happen on the gen 2 model. It will only play content for about 10 seconds before the entire gen 2 Apple TV crashes and restarts itself. HBO Now used to work fine on my gen 2 Apple TV. My gen 2 Apple TV software is fully up to date. Who do I contact about this? - I'm paying monthly for the service. Is this an Apple problem or an HBO problem?

Jun 8, 2015 6:48 AM in response to mert

This is definitely an Apple problem. Older hardware seldom gets supported once new hardware is released. My gen2 AppleTV has been in a downward spiral for months now.

In my experience with Apple, let's just hope they announce a new AppleTV today. The last thing I want to do is upgrade to a gen 3 only for a gen 4 to be released months later.

Jun 8, 2015 8:59 AM in response to rjeffords

I wonder why it just started this crashing? I watched half the latest season of Game of Thrones on this gen2 Apple TV with no problems. This unit is hardwired Ethernet and never stutters. Apple surely hasn't pushed any updates recently for gen2 Apple TVs. It must be something server-side. Server-side Apple or server-side HBO?

Jun 20, 2015 8:34 AM in response to mert

This appears to be apple's business model. Make product ...kill product via updates...make new product...rinse and repeat. I have an Apple TV 2 as well as a 3 and the 2 worked fine until I did the final iOS update. Now Hulu, Netflix nfl app...doesn't matter ...they all crash seconds into being played. Apples iphone and iPads work the same way. Buy a phone, they choke it out with iOS updates, hey you need the next phone!

Jul 1, 2015 4:31 PM in response to wavehowie

I fixed my 2nd Gen Apple TV. It now plays HBO Now (again) without crashing.

I did a full restore on it:

Restore your Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) - Apple Support

I probably would not have tried this, but for a completely unknown reason, my Apple TV stopped booting all together. After doing the restore, it seems as good as new and HBO Now, once again, plays without crashing after 15 seconds.

Oct 25, 2015 6:45 AM in response to wavehowie

I Have had this issue sporadically on my AppleTV with software version 6.2.1. Doing the full reset on the AppleTV took a long time and only fixed it temporarily.

What DID fix this for me was going into HBO Now -> Settings and selecting "Sign Out", then signing back in again. Now works flawlessly with no buffering or crashing. For me at least this seems to be some issue between HBO and iTunes authentication process?

I'll be placing order tomorrow for the new Apple TV with Siri... Maybe that will fix it for good!

HBO Now crashes every time I start to play content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.