Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos must quit because the photo library has become unavailable or its data is corrupt

Hello,

As many of you, I've installed photos. This is my problem: I am an enthusiastic photographer that keeps around 10K photos per year (approx. 60GB), and while I have several years of pictures, I've just get the last 5 years. To be honest, I never liked iphoto to organize my pictures, I rather use Picasa. The way how pictures get organized, the poor effects tweaks to photos, the lack of freedom to keep an online folder...etc.

But with this new Photos, well, what the heck let's give it a chance.

It seemed cool, all my devices connected, iCloud (very limited storage though), new nice quick effects... the organization of pictures also seemed improved. the UI as usual with apple apps, pretty neat and clean.

Did I mentioned that I have several hundreds of GB of pictures? Well, a detail, I keep it in my time capsule to have them handy when I need it. With picasa, I just need to ensure that time capsule is waked, and pictures get recognized at once.

With photos, I've tried with 1 year, 10,000 pictures and.... very disappointed, it shutdown every 1 minute saying "Photos must quit because the photo library has become unavailable or its data is corrupt"...

User uploaded file

Do I missing something here? is this supposed to be better than iPhoto? Time Capsule is not able to send steady signal to get my library online?

photos-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 9:37 PM

Not sure exactly whats going on with that given how new Photos is. But, Picasa works because differently than Photos because it doesn't use a centralized library. Picasa will just scan the entire computer and reference it in that location. Photos libraries, while sometimes problematic, are superior because as you've experience moving all the content is as simply as moving a single file.

Suggestions I would try:

Make sure Photos is quit. Hold down Command + Option on keyboard and click Photos icon to launch. Keep holding until you get a dialog box about repairing the library. Proceed with repair.

Move the library, if size permits, to your local HD on the computer and attempt to open and use.

Create a new library by holding Option on keyboard and launching Photos. Choose to create a new library and make sure it's placed in your ~/Pictures folder. If that works you know its library specific.

Right click on the external drive (also accomplished by holding Control when click), choose get info on the drive. Bottom of new window expand (if not already) the sharing and permissions section. Click lock icon and provide administrator password. If available, which it should be if using same drive for a Time Machine backup, check box to ignore permissions.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2015 9:37 PM in response to 2good2btrue

Not sure exactly whats going on with that given how new Photos is. But, Picasa works because differently than Photos because it doesn't use a centralized library. Picasa will just scan the entire computer and reference it in that location. Photos libraries, while sometimes problematic, are superior because as you've experience moving all the content is as simply as moving a single file.

Suggestions I would try:

Make sure Photos is quit. Hold down Command + Option on keyboard and click Photos icon to launch. Keep holding until you get a dialog box about repairing the library. Proceed with repair.

Move the library, if size permits, to your local HD on the computer and attempt to open and use.

Create a new library by holding Option on keyboard and launching Photos. Choose to create a new library and make sure it's placed in your ~/Pictures folder. If that works you know its library specific.

Right click on the external drive (also accomplished by holding Control when click), choose get info on the drive. Bottom of new window expand (if not already) the sharing and permissions section. Click lock icon and provide administrator password. If available, which it should be if using same drive for a Time Machine backup, check box to ignore permissions.

Apr 10, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Chuckles84

Thanks for the reply, while the trick of option+command open it's a good one, didn't solve the problem.

I am aware of the differences between keeping a library and just pointing where the photos are, but not going there since it's a very subjective topic.

What I am doing is deleting the library and redoing the whole process again, not much a solution, but it would help to see if this corruption will still be addressing after doing so.

Wish to have another solution...

Apr 10, 2015 12:22 PM in response to 2good2btrue

If you want an Photos library with a wireless connection use iCloud Photo Library. Photos can store your photos in iCloud, but the Photos Library on your mac should be on a locally connected drive.

Apple does not say it explicitly, but Photos libraries are migrated iPhoto Libraries or Aperture Libraries, and these libraries do not work on remotely mounted volumes.

photos must quit because the photo library has become unavailable or its data is corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.