Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Batch rename in photos app?

Now that Apple has forced us to move from iPhoto to the new Photos app in OSX 10.3, I can't find a way to batch rename like we could in iPhoto. Am I missing something or did Apple simply decide we didn't need this feature any longer?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 8:50 PM

16 replies

Aug 13, 2017 11:20 AM in response to léonie

To ensure correctness, the newer version of Photos allows for 'group edit' of properties (just like iTunes does), so you can assign the "same" title to a group of photos.

This is not batch rename as referred to by original poster, which was original iPhoto's batch rename, which allowed to 'modify' the filename or title of a group of photos in a common way, but such that they still had unique names. It is sad such useful feature was dropped by Apple

Aug 13, 2017 11:36 AM in response to Marcin

which allowed to 'modify' the filename

There is no way to modify the filename in iPhoto. The problem with the 'workaround' you suggest is that the images are now outside Photos, and you're renaming files not editing the metadata of the Photo. If you want that, then simply use the File -> Export command... and do your renaming there, and have full control over what you're exporting.

Aug 14, 2017 6:15 AM in response to Yer_Man

The problem with the 'workaround' you suggest is ...

Thanks Terence for the response. Please read my post again - I was not suggesting any workarounds. I was simply pointing out that the suggested group rename Iéonie was pointing to should not be called a batch rename as its functionality fundamentally differs from what iPhoto's batch rename did (which is what the original post was about).

Apr 10, 2015 10:33 PM in response to ahwman

Well being that Apple no longer allows us to sync our iPhoto library to our iOS devices after upgrading to OS X 10.3 , I guess you could say we are forced to upgrade to the new photos app if we ever want to sync again...

But they do allow you to sync your iPhoto Library with your iOS devices after upgrading to 10.10.3...

Aug 2, 2015 6:24 PM in response to ahwman

That still doesn't answer the question. How do we get batch rename? Is there an automator process? I thought I used to have one before, but now automator does not load Photos library, just iPhoto library. OK, so we go to some guys Quicksilver script he wrote. Fine and dandy, but now we have to learn quicksilver? It's not as easy as clicking on his Rename Photo Selection.scpt and having it run. Somehow it needs to invoke Quicksilver or vise versa. I'm seriously looking for an easy way to rename hundreds of photos. (if not thousands by this time)

Ed

Aug 2, 2015 10:46 PM in response to Retired Mx Man

How do we get batch rename? Is there an automator process?

There are not yet any Automator actions for Photos in MacOS X 10.10.4. That will change with El Capitan. Also, the next version of Photos in El Capitan will make it possible to change the tittles and descriptions of all selected photos at once from the Info panel. You may want to wait for the upgrade.

For the time being, have a look at the User Tip section of the Photos forum: Photos for Mac User Tips

Batch rename in photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.