Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos app in my mac is not able to open the iPhoto library from my external hard disk.

User uploaded fileI am using iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) OS 10.10.3. i have 2 iPhoto library one on my Mac HD and the other on my External HD which i primarily use and which has all the latest photos in it. Now with the new update to photos app in Mac i am not able to open the iPhoto library from my external HD. I get the following error message please help.User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 11:32 PM

4 replies

Apr 9, 2015 11:38 PM in response to arund2

i am not able to open the iPhoto library from my external HD

How is the external HD formatted? Is the filesystem MAcOS Extended (Journaled) as necessary?

Is theHD directly connected or by a networked connection?

Have you tried to set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag?

See how to prepare the drive for storing an iPhoto Library on it in this document: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Which version of iPhoto created the library? If it was iPhoto 7.1.2 or earlier, download and run the iPhoto Library upgrader.

iPhoto '11 or later: About the Library Upgrader - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2015 1:05 AM in response to arund2

Move your iPhoto Library to your internal drive or another external drive. The newest iPhoto version are checking for the correct filesystem. Your drive is formatted "Windows NT Filesystem" and you cannot use that drive with iPhoto. It is incompatible, and storing a library there may result in data loss or library corruption.

You need to reformat the drive or use a different drive.

Reformatting the drive will erase it. You have to copy the data to a different location before you reformat. See how to prepare the drive for storing an iPhoto Library on it in this document: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

photos app in my mac is not able to open the iPhoto library from my external hard disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.