Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Screen Saver with Photos app

Hello,

Have anyone figured out how I can point the Apple TV to the Photos app photos, or even better, specific library of Photos app, like it was possible till the new update? The only options I see (in iTunes and/or ATV) is sharing my Pictures (or custom) directory or one of the subdirectories.

This seems like a too much of an obvious feature for Apple to overlook with the new update?!?

M

Apple TV (2nd generation), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 11:03 PM

The only solution seems to be iTunes Home Sharing (go to iTunes, File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to share with Apple TV). In the window that pops up, choose "Share Photos from", and pick Photos. You then get a choice of "All photos and albums" or "Selected albums".

In case you use multiple Photos libraries, this will only show the primary library albums (the library labeled System Photo Library). There seems to be no way to choose albums from the iCloud Photos library on the Apple TV. I've filed bug with Apple, and encourage everyone to do so if you're interested in this capability.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 11:03 PM in response to Mayo Jordanov

The only solution seems to be iTunes Home Sharing (go to iTunes, File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to share with Apple TV). In the window that pops up, choose "Share Photos from", and pick Photos. You then get a choice of "All photos and albums" or "Selected albums".

In case you use multiple Photos libraries, this will only show the primary library albums (the library labeled System Photo Library). There seems to be no way to choose albums from the iCloud Photos library on the Apple TV. I've filed bug with Apple, and encourage everyone to do so if you're interested in this capability.

Apr 14, 2015 12:02 PM in response to vazandrew

How do you mean it's not supported yet? ICloud Photo library already shows up on Apple TV, but only shows all photos, rather than having an option to select specific albums. As far as I'm (as end user) concerned, that means its supported, but not showing all options compared to the previous version of the software.

And filing a bug is the only option here, as neither Apple TV nor Photos have a feedback option. Considering previous versions of Apple TV software supported picking albums on the device as opposed to using Home Sharing, I see this is a bug or removal of a feature.

May 8, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Ladiv

I found Photos to be a great update to iPhoto or even Aperture. It's well integrated with all devices and much simpler to use, yet gives you more control than iPhoto did.

What I find is the problem piece is the Apple TV Photos integration, which according to Apple is feature complete, but lacks specific features that used to exist in previous Apple TV versions, so it's like going backwards.

May 8, 2015 6:52 PM in response to vazandrew

Based on the response to my bug report, the Photos integration on Apple TV is feature complete, so it seems there won't be tighter iCloud integration anytime soon. Home sharing it is, which kind of *****, because it requires a computer running and betting on ATV to do sync while the computer is running. I've gone weeks before new photos in the albums I share actually shown up on ATV.

Apple TV Screen Saver with Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.