Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outsourcing Photos Library to TimeCapsule isn't working

Hopefully this is just a bug - i'm about to explode if this is the truth User uploaded file

Until tomorrow i stored my "iphoto library" at the time capsule. Just like any other file. iPhoto doesn't have any problems with this. i can activate the icloud funktions - all worked fine.

And that was good cause nobody (except prof photographers) want to stuff their limited SSD-Space with a photo library.

So i installed 10.10.3 - started the new photos app with "pressed ALT-Key" - generate a new library on my TC. So fine

But than i go to the preferences - icloud tab and want to activate it --> FAIL !! User uploaded file (see Screenshot)

Here is a simple translation of the message (sorry - my english isn't perfect!)

The iCloud Photolibrary is only available on volumes formatted with Mac OS Standard or Mac OS Extended.

To check the format of your volume go to finder and open the information for the volumen. the format ist displayed in the field "Format".

User uploaded file

Am i really the only one who outsorces his library on a time capsule or air port extreme with a integrated HDD ?

I can't believe that Apple is not able to enable icloud functions on a library that's stored on an Apple Device ?!?

I can't see the "real format" of the TC - cause the TC is mounted by AFP:// (just normal i think)

Searching via google gives no save answer. Some say that the TC is formated with HFS+ (in that case i wonder why this error above pops ups) - and other say that it can't be HFS+ cause Windows can't read/write on HFS+

And now ?!?

Crossing fingers and thanks in advance for any information given.

P.S I found that explanation - so the Time Capsule IS formatted with HFS+ - so why the new photos app isn't supporting it the right way?!?

The hard drive in the Time Capsule is formatted as HFS+

Mac computers use AFP, a networking protocol, to read and write to the hard drive in the Time Capsule.

Windows computers use SMB, also a networking protocol, to read and write to the hard drive in the Time Capsule. Windows will also incorrectly show the drive as formatted FAT32.

Neither actually care that the hard drive is formatted HFS+

I've opened up my Time Capsule and mounted the hard drive in an enclosure on my Mac. It's HFS+

The rules of HFS+, NTFS, FAT32 do not apply to it because the computers are using either AFP or SMB to communicate with the drive.

icloud.com

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 3:07 AM

26 replies

Apr 10, 2015 3:30 AM in response to maddeen

Neither iPhoto, Aperture nor Photos support a Library no a network connection.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

It was possible to create Libraries on networks in earlier versions but that was removed in later versions of iPhoto and Aperture. Get a USB disk and format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and use that.

Apr 10, 2015 3:53 AM in response to Yer_Man

Now i'm more confused than ever before. The KB article just talks about FAT32 network devices.

But the TimeCapsule is not FAT32 formated and not a "normal" network drive. it's a proper Apple Device formated with HFS+

i used iphoto for years - last time just a week ago!!

I ALWAYS stored my iphotolibrary on the TimeCapsule - everthing worked fine. The iCloud foto stream, too.

And absolutly no problems with speed or anything else!!

And now? Apple just reviewed the hole app and force me to stuff my limited SSD Space with a photolibrary? (i realize the strategy by Apple - force consumers to buy devices with even more space - nice try 😟 )

An external HDD is no Option - i use a iMac mounted just beside my couch at a wall mount. There is no space to connect a external HDD permant there.

And always plug in and plug out is no solution. 😟

Very disappointing, Apple !!!

Apr 10, 2015 4:01 AM in response to maddeen

What art of the bit underlined and in bold is not clear? The problem is it's a networked location. It does not "force" you do use your internal disk, as I explain above you need to simply use an appropriate one. Obviously you need to rethink your wall mount and get a more appropriate one, or buy a computer with more storage.

Apr 10, 2015 4:23 AM in response to Yer_Man

Underlined and bold is clear -- the TC was a appropriate one for the last four years - untill yesterday!!!

as i said - i use iphoto for years - always stored the library on a network drive - first on a real NAS via iSCSI (QNAP)

No Data loss, speed problem or other marketing ********.

Than i sold the NAS and replaced it with a time capsule - moved the iphoto library to the TC - and used it for about 2 years AND with icloud features.

Again - no data loss - no poor performance - NOTHING.

As i said above - nice try from Apples marketing unit.. "oohh dont use network drives for 100$ - Buy more SSD Space for 1000$ from Apple 🙂"

Or simple - just take the key facts

1) Storing library on a network device is possible - but MAYBE can lead to poor performance or data loss

2) understand #1 but ignore it - as i said - use it for more than 4 years - no problems!

3) TC is formated with HFS+ (look at the screenshot above - photos app says that it isnt HFS+)

4) i used my iphoto library 7 days ago - still saved on the TC - no problems and icloud stream still working fine.

5) Update to photos app - and now the app told me that the TC isnt a HFS+ volume?!?

Conclusion --> That`s nonsense

P.S Sadly i'm on work now .. otherwise i would start "iphoto" - and make a screenshot of a full working iphoto app with a stored library on the TC and a working icloud fotostream within iphoto!!

Jun 6, 2015 10:38 PM in response to maddeen

Just curious as to whether you have found a solution to this.

Because I used to have a Macbook Air with limited (terrible) storage space I was forced to use TimeCapsule to store my iphoto library. Whilst it was slow to bring up the files from time to time it was really an excellent solution for me as it gave me adequate space on my laptop and I could access my photos from my iMac too. I only used it to store older photos.

So I simply access the Time Capsule library from time to time when I need to grab some older files.

However, now I have the same problem as you, i.e. that Photos won't let me open the library stored on my time capsule. Surely the solution really isn't for me to need to copy ALL my photos onto a plug in drive? This is really frustrating for me (not to mention really time consuming) as I purchased the TimeCapsule instead of a plug in drive so that I have the benefit of additional storage AND wireless networking.

This is quite frustrating.. surely this affects plenty of users?

Jun 7, 2015 4:52 AM in response to nic77e

The article Terence mentioned & quoted from was recently updated (on June 1st of this year) but it still only refers to iPhoto libraries, & does not mention Photos ones at all. I can find no similar document from Apple that says anything like this about Photos libraries, so it remains unclear if it applies to them as well.

I have experimented with storing a Photos library on my Time Capsule, & with some limitations it does work -- specifically, it does not support migrating an iPhotos library stored on that same drive to a Photos one. That isn't too surprising given the iPhoto article.

But whether or not it works, consider this: if you put your Photos library on the TC's internal disk, there is no backup of it there, even if you are using the TC as a Time Machine backup. That isn't a good idea, at least if you care about your photos.

Oct 14, 2015 4:40 PM in response to carolinanobre

try reading - the solution is right there

Neither iPhoto, Aperture nor Photos support a Library no a network connection.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

It was possible to create Libraries on networks in earlier versions but that was removed in later versions of iPhoto and Aperture. Get a USB disk and format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and use that.

LN

Oct 25, 2015 1:46 PM in response to LarryHN

Another solution is to simply keep using iPhoto instead of Photos. If your version is old enough (like mine, which is iPhoto 09 version 8.1.2), it will likely still be able to store the library on a network volume.

The article below describes how this is possible on newer versions of OS X:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/16/use-iphoto-instead-of-mac-photos-app-osx/

Honestly I don't see much of a disadvantage unless you want to use iCloud to store all your Photos, but in this case you wouldn't be reading this thread, right? :-)

Oct 25, 2015 2:25 PM in response to opfeifer

no disadvantages except

And the inability to use iCLoud PHoto Library

and although not necessary it is often true that the TC is the TimeMachine backup volume location so in that case you have no backup

But other than those there are no disadvantages

Oh and it will not work at all with Photos

But other than those there are no disadvantages

LN

Oct 25, 2015 2:28 PM in response to LarryHN

Well, of course, using a local NAS must lead to poor performance, while storing your whole library in the iCloud does not ;-)

But, seriously, of course I would suggest to use the network volume only for ARCHIVED (=old) parts of an iPhoto library; the active, newer part I keep on the local drive. This way, neither performance nor potential data loss are a problem, and still it is MUCH more convenient to browse through old photos on the NAS with having to wait a second for the final image to come up, then having to find and plug in the external drive each time.

Outsourcing Photos Library to TimeCapsule isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.