Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

prevent iPhone being stolen

is it possible when switching off a iPhone by the button you have to input the passcode or use fingerprint to stop theifs stealing the iPhone and making it easier to find.

my sons iPhone was stolen and switched off before we could find it we contacted police and they were not interested as the iPhone could not be traced.

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 4:10 AM

9 replies

Apr 10, 2015 5:23 AM in response to JimHdk

I Don't know why because it could be built into the software. Easily if Apple took the time or effort as they use in there In-app where you need to use the password or 4 digit code I feel apple don't want to as they make more money from their customers by them forking out more money to buy a new iPhone this would also keep down insurance claims and stop these thiefs getting away with our iPhones so come on Apple I know this can be done you just need to implament it in the software.

Apr 10, 2015 5:44 AM in response to rio1

This suggestion has been raised several times over the years. It has also been noted that almost daily there are posts from people who have forgotten their passcode to get into the phone. If this was added, there would be just as many people posting how to turn off their phone because they forgot the passcode. If the phone is left on, it still needs to be connected to the Internet, and once the battery dies, there is no way to track the phone. You can offer the feedback to Apple but I don't see thme adding this option.

Apr 10, 2015 5:49 AM in response to rio1

PPlease don't get me wrong Apple do a excellent job it has just annoyed me that my sons iPhone will not be back and the police are not bothered about helping as it is not serious enough to investigate but it's going to cost me over £250 for a new one.

just letting a little steam off.

Apr 10, 2015 5:54 AM in response to rio1

rio1 wrote:

I Don't know why because it could be built into the software. Easily if Apple took the time or effort as they use in there In-app where you need to use the password or 4 digit code I feel apple don't want to as they make more money from their customers by them forking out more money to buy a new iPhone this would also keep down insurance claims and stop these thiefs getting away with our iPhones so come on Apple I know this can be done you just need to implament it in the software.

So you want the phone to stay on when you switch it off, how much battery life do you expect under those conditions?

Apr 26, 2015 3:52 AM in response to rio1

There are good reasons not to have to input a password to turn the iPhone off. When the iPhone has issues, the first troubleshooting step is to turn it off and on. If the issues have to do with the screen not working properly or the keyboard not working properly, etc., it would not be possible to input a passcode.

Anyway, all a thief needs to do is take the Sim card off the iPhone with the aid of a paper clip or pin, and the iPhone will no longer be traceable.

prevent iPhone being stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.