Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove images from Notes app?

I sometimes find that, when cutting and pasting text from the web, an image is also copied (pretty much at all times I try and avoid this, but sometimes the selection process doesn't allow for fine enough control - e.g. a whole block of content may be selected, rather than just the few words I'm trying to copy).

I then find, once it's part of my note, that I cannot select the unwanted image and remove it. Can anyone tell me if this is something that can be done, and if so... how?

Thanks, Sebastain

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 4:36 AM

13 replies

Apr 10, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Seb Palmer

It's a little long winded but you can consider pasting into TextEdit & then reselect the desired text for creating your note.

Other options are to make a 'plain text' document in TextEdit & paste into that (the image shouldn't be carried over in that format). TextEdit's Format menu has the option to switch to that style of document. Other apps that only support plain text may work better (e.g. code editors like TextWrangler).

I suspect it may be possible to script this via Automator, but it's only worth investing time into if you use the feature a lot.

Try the 'paste & match style' feature too, I'm not sure it removes linked images, but it can remove the styled text. It is in the Edit menu of most apps, or you can use the shortcut alt+shift+cmd+V

Apr 10, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Seb Palmer

Copy and past from a website - unless you are using a destination app that is strictly plain text, which Notes isn't - will always have the potential to drag unwanted formatting, markup and content over. Its is simply the nature of the beast. Other than more careful and granular selection, about the only options are:

• Tap to the immediate right of the image and then back space to delete it after the paste
  • Use a text only app to paste into first, then re-copy to place into the Notes app. There are several in the app store. Or even consider using it as the source for those notes rather than the Notes app.

Apr 10, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Drew Reece

I use it frequently on iOS, but only for short term stuff (grocery list, a phone number or address I don't wish to store in contacts, etc.). Typically any note has served its purpose with a day or so and gets deleted. For longer term notes and such, I have used Evernote for quite a while, and occasionally OneNote for work related items. Neither of course resolves the OP's issue, but I believe I indicated how to delete an image caught up in the copy paste process.

Apr 10, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Seb Palmer

Hi Drew & Kilgore*

Thanks for your replies. I also have and use Simplenote, although I went off it for a while, when it started crashing all the time on me. It seems to be more stable again now, so I'll start using it more regularly again, perhaps.

I am, obviously, disappointed that one can't simply select ANY object within a Notes document and choose to delete it. As I rather suspected, the only solution is an annoying workaround. Apple stuff seems to get more like this as time goes by. At least in my experience.

I solved the issue my own way in the end, but I guess it was close to your 1st idea DR, and your 2nd option, KT: I basically cut and pasted everything above, and then everything below, the image, and pasted both chunks of text into a new note. So it took two passes, and left me with the original note just displaying the image, which I then trashed.

Tapping to the right of the image followed by deletion was what I hoped & expected would work. But instead the image stayed put and the text below the cursor would simply slide along the right hand side, moving upwards as I deleted! Most bizarre, to my mind at least.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. But, for anyone else that might want to know how to do this, the answer is: NO, you can't select and delete an image once it's in one of your notes!

* I quite recently watched the rather strange Bruce Willis / Nick Nolte 'Breakfast of Champions' movie... I think I still prefer the book to the film!

Apr 10, 2015 7:26 AM in response to Seb Palmer

Seb Palmer wrote:

Hi Drew & Kilgore*

I am, obviously, disappointed that one can't simply select ANY object within a Notes document and choose to delete it.

It really only takes two taps to delete an image pasted into Notes: 1) set the cursor after the image, 2) tap the back space key. Even selecting it as an object (which in Notes it really isn't) and deleting would require the same number of steps.

Seb Palmer wrote:

* I quite recently watched the rather strange Bruce Willis / Nick Nolte 'Breakfast of Champions' movie... I think I still prefer the book to the film!

Nothing against Willis or Nolte, but a TERRIBLE film.

Apr 10, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Seb Palmer

I'm afraid this is a shot in the dark but it may be worth looking at…

https://workflow.is

It's unclear to me what actions are supported by default, but it seems to be getting a lot of press as an 'automator for iOS'. I suspect you can setup a workflow to copy plain text into a Note. I don't have iOS 8 so I can't vouch for this at all, sorry. You may want to investigate reviews/ tips before you buy…

http://www.macstories.net/reviews/workflow-review-integrated-automation-for-ios- 8/

http://sayzlim.net/workflow-tips-beginners/

It looks promising to me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.