Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hey Siri is routing calls to speaker by default

With iOS 8.3, Hey Siri is routing calls to speaker by default when connected to my cars Bluetooth. How do I fix this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 5:24 AM

12 replies

Apr 12, 2015 10:39 AM in response to cmoore7502

Yes, it's annoying. I tried saying "Hey Siri call X on bluetooth" without success. Perhaps "Hey Siri call X on headset" will work.

I noticed another thread:Re: Hands free Siri - Did Apple really make this mistake?

That mentioned Settings > General > Accessibility > Call Audio Routing

Right now I have my settings set to Settings > General > Accessibility > Call Audio Routing > Automatic and Siri is automatically sending to speaker rather than the car's bluetooth.

Next time I'm in the car I'm going to try Settings > General > Accessibility > Call Audio Routing > Headset and see if that works.

Apr 25, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Nitro_2k

I had the same problem but thanks to 101010=42's suggestion to change my settings to Settings > General > Accessibility > Call Audio Routing > Headset, I've found what appears to be a workaround. After changing the routing to Headset, my phone goes to my car's speakers. I tried it by manually making the call and asking Siri to make the call. It worked both ways.

The setting prior to changing it was > Call Audio Routing > Automatic. Something in the IOS 8.3 update resulted in that setting putting the call to on my iPhone's speaker.

Apr 28, 2015 5:27 AM in response to croshaven

Thanks for the workaround. I tried this and it worked. I'm still hoping Apple provides a fix as I assume this will route FaceTime video chat audio to the headset and I will have to manually change it each time. I also noticed that this problem is specific to different Bluetooth systems. Hey Siri routes the call over Bluetooth as expected in my other car (Honda).

Apr 30, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Wunderboy

Did some quick tests.

The above accessibility change did not help. At least for me.

When not plugged in to car USB or plain charger and activating Siri via the home button, call routes through bluetooth.

When plugged in to either as above and using Hey Siri, call always got routed through speaker.

When plugged in to either and activating Siri with Home button, call routed through bluetooth.

May 11, 2015 12:47 PM in response to cmoore7502

Here is the work around I was provided by Apple Care Support:

Just to recap, we’re going to try out using this format “Hey Siri,” and then waited for Siri to respond with what s/he could help me with and then replied with, “Call ___” then Siri would say “calling ____” without the “on speaker” to test and see if the workaround works.

I can confirm that it work every time this way.

Jun 13, 2015 1:35 AM in response to bgib2610

In the car, I only ever use "Hey Siri" and wait until a response before giving instructions to dial. My phone always defaults to the car's bluetooth.

However, I have been having problems dialling with "Hey Siri" with the watch, which appears to always default to audio on the watch when in the car. Although it is a convenient way to dial when the phone is not plugged in to the power supply, the watch speaker is nowhere near as good as the car sound system. I can't find an option that will default to the car speaker under these circumstances

Hey Siri is routing calls to speaker by default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.