Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my photos not syncing across all my devices?

I am going to quit using Apple products soon if ever "upgrade" seems to make things worse! I just upgraded to an iPhone 6+ - added lots more storage on the cloud thinking that this move was going to sync all my devices and, I thought, was going to allow me edit on any of the devices, but that is NOT the case with photos!!!! my MacBoo, iPad, and iPhone are all selected for iCloud but there are photos that I deleted on my MacBook that are still showing up on my iPad. AND I can't delete them on my iPad. Any help before I do something drastic???? Thanks.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 1:01 PM

First things first. How many backups of your devices do you have? The issue can be that you may have multiple backups that occurred at different times so once you delete a photo it syncs it back up due to a backup that you may have.

12 replies

Apr 10, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Dkirby12

Not at all. Those devices are separate and the only thing that is "common" between the three is the iCloud. I had to read your post to make sure I understood exactly what was going on again. If I'm understanding correctly, if you delete a photo from your Mac, it still shows up on your iPad? If so, that's because it only got deleted from your physical mac and not the iCloud. Since all your devices seemed to be synced with iCloud, all the pics will be there unless you go into your iCloud and delete the pictures and then from your devices. Does this make sense?

Apr 10, 2015 2:17 PM in response to risedark91

🙂 In trying to get all the photos on the cloud I am just having to adjust to working in the photo app instead of using iPhoto which I have used to years. And because I have so many photos it is taking forever to download and it is making me a bit crazy. But I'll try to stay patient while the system is downloading all my photos (which I never would have elected to do but it wouldn't let me select the photos I wanted to move over).

Apr 30, 2015 8:06 PM in response to risedark91

This is happening to me too. I have iCloud on all my devices- macbook, ipad and iphone 6- all up to date with the latest software. and when I make an edit to a photo or create a new album- they aren't syncing across the devices. I have tried making an album on both my computer and phone and they aren't syncing to each other. Also, my phone freezes when uploading- it get stucks on a number (i.e. 13 to upload) but then that number keeps going up and they aren't updating and saving to the cloud so I can't see the latest pictures i've take on my phone on my other devices.

May 6, 2015 2:37 AM in response to suslsan

Hiya!

I can't help with this problem, I'm afraid, but wanted to put my head above the parapet too as it's also happening to me. Particularly frustrating as the peace of mind of having an up-to-date, accurate and low-maintenance 'in the cloud' back up of my photos was the main reason I shelled out for extra iCloud storage space and went through the whole rigamarole of setting everything up. In fact, my situation is probably even more straightforward. I've just the two devices - my MacBook Pro (mid-2012) and my iPhone 6. I back-up my iPhone to my MacBook manually so I'm fairly confident that auto back-ups can't be causing any kind of confusion.

I used iPhoto on my MacBook this morning to really simplify things for iCloud - spent ages deleting all my albums and loads of stuff I didn't need anymore, so now I just have my All Photos, Faces (which I don't need or use but still seems to want to be there front and centre in spite of my best efforts), Last Import and Videos - no bursts or albums or anything like that. So, all nice and tidy in iPhoto. A beautiful sight if I say so myself!

Checked my iPhone and everything's different - stuff I deleted still there, not clear what's on the iPhone itself and what's in the cloud etc. Just a big old mess. Logged into iCloud itself and that looks different again - deleted things still there, albums I never created popping up all over the place by date etc. So my 'syncing across devices' has just provided me with two different locations where I need to keep deleting, tidying up etc. Three if you include iCloud itself.

Anyway, I have a back-up of everything from before I started the odyssey of iCloud, so I'll just cancel it all and go back to hard copy back-ups - not a solution, I know, but I just can't dedicate the time to a cloud service that needs me to do everything three times. It's a bit needy.

All I've really wasted is the couple of quid I spent on extra storage which I'll cancel and a few hours of tidying things up on my MacBook Pro. This is by no means the end of my world but I am a bit disappointed, as I was under the impression that syncing across devices was what iCloud was meant to do. I thought it was peculiar when I synced Reminders and suddenly lists of reminders from months and months ago, long deleted, started popping up everywhere, the Contacts feature started cannibalising contacts from other accounts etc. All a bit 'iffy' in terms of where this long-deleted info is suddenly being pulled from (?!) and certainly incredibly messy. If we still have to go into iPhone, Macs, iPads and iCloud online separately to keep everything organised I'm not sure there's much point to it - in fact, for me at least, that's making work.

May 6, 2015 4:46 AM in response to missrmjones

I Have dealt with my addresses as well and when I called Apple they couldn't figure it out either after they told me the steps I needed to go through - which I had already done before I called them. As for photos - I have gone back to the old-fashioned way of transferring thru IPhoto which never was a problem. No more iCloud for this gal. Upside - I cleaned up my photo library. 🙂

Why are my photos not syncing across all my devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.