Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad made useless

Hi, I have a 17' Macbook Pro. Recently upgraded system to Mavericks 10.9.5.The trackpad is basically useless now (slow, jittery and unresponsive - with a mind of it's own), but a wireless mouse works fine. What happened and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 8:17 AM

4 replies

Apr 13, 2015 5:49 PM in response to mario49

Hi Mario, thank you for your reply, but none of these pieces of action were helpful.

My machine is clean and kept clean, I use only the supplied power cord.

I know my gestures 😀

This machine with Mountain Lion and earlier Mavericks has been a flawless workhorse.

I've tried Safe Mode, the problem persists.

It's really as simple as that the trackpad does not really 'control' the pointer very well at all.

Often, for about 30 seconds at start up or out of sleep mode, it works just fine and then, almost as if a different system process starts, it goes wonky.

The pointer moves slow, inconsistent, strangely, and will do swipe gestures when not swiping. It will magnify the window without the proper gesture.

It's like it is 'misinterpreting' the gesture.

The thousands of messages on on these forums about this type of problem seem to suggest that Mavericks causes this problem on some of the older machines. Is it not somewhat obvious that there are some issues with the relationship between the trackpad and with both Mavericks, and Yosemite OS.

?? because I don't see a lot of those other messages with a green check??

What do you think?

thanks, Derick

Apr 15, 2015 10:59 AM in response to derickhonig

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If you still have the problem, if you live near an Apple Store, make a Genius Bar appointment to have the computer tested. Supposedly there is no charge for testing. Use 2nd link if not near an Apple Store or aren’t in the US.
Hardware Repair - Keeping Confidential Data Safe

Genius Bar Reservation US

Authorized Service Provider

Trackpad made useless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.