Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast Artwork Help Needed :-)

Hello!

Recently changed podcast cover art (3rd time in a year or so).

In iTunes search - the second version still showing up (both on search and page), EXCEPT for the pilot episode, which has the FIRST version . . . ?

I updated the latest (3rd) version in Libsyn, think I have chosen a DIFFERENT file name for the picture, and the URL for it appears different (I see it different in Libsyn).

I have waited a couple days for it to update . ..

What am I doing wrong? I feel like I'm missing something on the iTunes side?

Please help a non-techy gal figure this out. Grrrr ;-)

chelle

Podcast Art on Apple iTunes-OTHER

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 11:05 AM

What is your iTunes store URL for your show?

11 replies

Apr 10, 2015 11:15 AM in response to chelleander

I put this in the email - but will repeat here for those wondering:

There are two key reasons I see that make managing your feed on Wordpress a bad idea. This based on many users with one or both of these issues.

1. Feed bandwidth. As your feed grows in size you can actually have a bigger bandwidth usage for your feed then your media files. Your feed gets pinged (downloaded) many times a day by each subscriber. A feed that is 0.5 mb getting pinged 10 times a day 7 days a week will draw down 35 mb in bandwidth per user. While a new episode 60 minutes long once a week may only draw down 30 mb a user.

This becomes an issue as your show gets even moderately popular as this bandwidth is coming from your website host. We have seen many shows get their website shut down for this excess bandwidth. And if your website host says you have unlimited bandwidth what you really will see in the fine print is that they have a "cpu usage limit" and this is what they get you on. The goal of a podcast is to help promote your website not to shut it down.

This is why almost none of the top 200 podcasts in iTunes use Wordpress for their feed.

2. 3rd party plugin issues: the number one reason for using Wordpress is without a doubt to use the plethora of 3rd party plugins. Sadly however 3rd plugins can and often break your RSS feed when managing on Wordpress. There is no warning and if you don't catch it quick enough you can get your show removed from iTunes if the feed is dead long enough. Having a feed that can break any time you add a 3rd party plugin means you really do not have control of your feed.

Rob W

Apr 10, 2015 5:19 PM in response to chelleander

Yes - Libsyn Offers a permanent 301 redirect if you ever decide to leave - and you can add in a redirect or the iTunes new feed tag at any time. There is no lock -in with libsyn. That is why many of the biggest shows use libsyn for their feed - like the NFL network, The Nerdist, Marc Maron and many others.

It is the most reliable feed and can handle any amount of traffic you get and you keep control of it. And if you want you can even bring in your own custom domain URL.

Podcast Artwork Help Needed :-)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.