Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule and new photo upload not a good combination?

ok so wed night I set up the new photo library and started uploading my album (large 199gb). Thought this is cool incase something ever happened here at home. Thursday morn and all day, it was like our internet was on a light switch cutting in and out. Had ISP come over replace modem fix cables ends etc etc. same issue thought great now its my router, Apple TC fall 2013. Well today I figure out it was the uploading that was hogging everything. stop the upload and low and behold back to normal. So my question is anyone experience this and how are we supposed to upload large albums if this happens.

Curious if someone with a non apple router this is happening to also?

imac is current yosemite fall of 2013.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:28 AM

8 replies

Apr 10, 2015 6:28 PM in response to beansberry

Placing large albums in the cloud was never a possibility without fastest cable or fibre connections.

It is easy to calculate the time required to upload 199GB at a standard 1Mbit upload..

Here is a neat calculator.

http://www.meridianoutpost.com/resources/etools/calculators/calculator-file-down load-time.php

It estimates 475hours.. if your upload is faster or slower you can easily estimate how long it will take..

I doubt you realise how big 199GB is.

Apr 16, 2015 7:03 PM in response to beansberry

I am having the same problem. My internet has been erratic this past week and I could not figure out the problem. I thiought I was having a cable modem issue. My ISP came out and everything checked out fine, except whenever he would connect my Airprt Extreme (4th gen?) the modem (Motorola SB6141) would start dropping the connection off and on. I came across an old tread where someone else was having a similar problem when trting to do a back up. His solution was to cap the upload speed of his back up software. I saw the similarities to my situation and turned off my iMac which was doing the photos upload to icloud. I turned off the iMac and now my network is stable again. I don't see anyway to throttle back the upload speed of Photos.

For now I'm just going to run my iMac over night to complete the iCloud backup of Photos so it doesn't take down the network.

As for my upload speed, my Speedtest app typically clocks in at 2-3Mbps.

-MM

Apr 16, 2015 11:50 PM in response to beansberry

The motorola SB6121 or 6141 is known problematic modem..

With the new AC TC I recommend you simply get another router.. plug the TC into that in bridge mode.. you can also think about getting a different modem.. eg zoom ubee I heard was ok.. but I am not in US.

If you have the older flat TC downgrade the firmware to 7.6.1 and you might need to set fixed speed on the WAN port..

To downgrade hold in the option key.. and click the existing version number on the summary screen.

User uploaded file

If that doesn't fix it then just replace the TC as router with another one.. eg Netgear WNDR3800 which is easy to get from ebay cheap and flash over to gargoyle firmware.

Apr 17, 2015 4:22 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks. I might give the firmware downgrade a try. I also might just wait it out as I've used this hardware combination for a couple of years without a problem. It appears that problem is iCloud / Photos is hogging up the bandwidth making the setup unstable. It looks like there are many other having similar problems due to the "nsurisessiond" process not playing nice. See: nsurlsessiond - taking up all bandwidth!! Help ?

Since this looks to be a temporary problem (bulk uploading of GBs of photos) it may be worth waiting it out.

Also, replacing the modem with a Zoom or Ubee might be a cheaper option as modems can be had for less than the price of a good router.

May 11, 2015 5:40 AM in response to griff7

So i have not had any luck with this service from apple. couldn't figure out a solution. But amazon has an photo/file upload service with unlimited space for $59.00 a yr for prime members. And it took about 5 days nonstop had a lil lag here and there, but acceptable and so far its working wonderful and its nice to have a service like this to backup rather then have at home.

Just thought I pass this info on!

Time Capsule and new photo upload not a good combination?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.