Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent my bluetooth headphones from constantly opening iTunes?

I got a wonderful pair of bluetooth headphones this past holiday season in the form of Plantronics BackBeat Pros. I love the functionality that's baked into these cans and whole-heartly appreciate the wireless convenience. The issue that I have run into is that upon connecting my headphones to my macbook pro, iTunes is automatically opened. This automatic operation is a bit of an issue if I am trying to listen to audio from other sources like YouTube, Spotify, or Pandora. After extensive research into this issue, I have found regardless of which bluetooth accessory camp you come from, (Bose, Beats, Parrot, Samsung, Jawbone, etc.) you are still going to face this imposing-iTunes challenge. I have tried the renaming applications approaches and have had limited success. I would also prefer to enjoy my bluetooth accessories without having to make obscure modifications to code/file names. It is worth noting that I am not running into these problems when using these same headphones with my iOS devices (iPhone 5s and iPad retina) so it seems that Apple technology is perfectly capable of managing this issue.

Apple, can you please correct this auto-open iTunes default? Perhaps you could provide a toggle switch somewhere in the iTunes preferences that allows users to turn this functionality on/off should there be some value that people do appreciate from this automatic operation.

The market for bluetooth headphones is blowing up and more and more people are taking advantage of this awesome technology. The fact that the new Macbook only has one port (not for audio) further reinforces this new wireless trend. Apple, can you please update your operating system to meet the evolving expectations of your user base?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 10:27 AM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2015 3:30 PM in response to GeauxBen

You could try this: https://github.com/thebitguru/play-button-itunes-patch

Personally, I'm using these headphones too and I'm just killing the rcd-deamon by issuing

sudo chmod -x /System/Library/CoreServices/rcd.app/Contents/MacOS/rcd && sudo killall -9 rcd

which probably disables some other functionality, too.

Fyi: This other tool is handy if you want to use the media-keys and the sensors on the Backbeats with Spotify: https://github.com/dayvson/headphone-bluetooth-spotify

How do I prevent my bluetooth headphones from constantly opening iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.