Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Program opens automatically upon start up

I have a MacBook Pro Mid-2009. In January the operating system was upgraded to 10.10.2. This change necessitated an upgrade of Office for Mac to the 2011 version. This is the where the situation begins. On starting the computer M/S Excel opens and I see a new worksheet. I prefer to see my desktop. I came to Support Communities. I examined posted questions and 6 days prior Tracy posted something very close to my concern. A response from Matt Clifton included 3 possible actions to address Tracy's issue. Tracy's response stated problem was fixed, but did not indicate which action produced the desired result. Some of the terms/descriptions Matt used in his response to Tracy I did not understand. I was able to follow the second suggestion which was 1. Go to System Preferences, 2. click on Accounts, and 3. click on Log-in Items. What differed is that in my System Preferences, "Accounts", doesn't exist, instead it has "Internet Accounts" and there was nothing I saw indicating "Log-in Items"

One option offered used the term re-boot, I don't exactly know what that is. Can somebody elaborate on what it is and how one would go about a re-boot.

And another option used the term "right click", Apple doesn't us a two button mouse so there truly cannot be a right click. So what was Matt trying to say?

Or if you have other thoughts to address the unwanted opening of Excel with computer start up please contact me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iPhoto 09, v 9.6.1

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:35 PM

Reboot is just shutting down and restarting your Mac.. however to stop apps from opening at the beginning.... just go to > System Preferences > user and Groups > select Log in items > click the minus sign to remove unwanted items to stop opening up at System Startup not wake from sleepUser uploaded file

5 replies

Apr 10, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Kerry Fan

When you shutdown do the following exist:

• MS Excel on the Dock has a black dot under it
  • The 'Reopen windows when logging back in' is checked when you shutdown

If the above are true, then MS Excel or any other application with a black dot under it will reopen when you logon.

The only other option I can think of that will start an application at login is if the applications Option to Open at Login is checked.

Right click or control click the MS Excel on the Dock, then Options, and uncheck Open at Login.

Hope this helps,

Paul K

Apr 10, 2015 7:50 PM in response to PATRICKMELE

Thanks for the direction provided it helped in answering my question. I had black dots next to; Firefox, Outlook, Word, Excel, iTunes, and Adobe Reader. My right clicking, More accurately Cntrl + a click, opened a window with 3 possible instructions, Keep in Dock, Open at Login, and Show in Finder. Excel had a check for Keep in Dock, thats it. Prior to shut down, in separate actions I quit Excel and Word, then clicked Shut down. After a pause I re-started and Excel did not appear.

Nov 26, 2015 12:26 PM in response to PATRICKMELE

When I go to the screen you show, neither the Office program nor any of its components--Word, Excel, or PowerPoint--appear in the list. I would like to disable those from opening at start-up, but not Chrome. So right now it seems I only have the choice to leave ALL windows open on next log-in, or none at all. I am running OS X Yosemite on my new MacBook Pro.

Program opens automatically upon start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.