Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating to a used Mac

I want to migrate from an old Macbook to a newer, used MacBook Pro. The newer one has software on it that I want to keep. I suppose I just have to reinstall the apps on the old to the new(er) and then just drag all my old files over, right? There isn't a more efficient way to do this?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 5GB SDRAM

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 2:12 PM

7 replies

Apr 10, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Kappy

Actually what I want to do is copy basically everything from my older computer onto the newer one (files, apps, etc) but retain the apps that are already on the newer one. I did use Carbon Copy Cloner several years ago when I got the (then) new Macbook, but of course, it was starting from scratch. So, if I understand you correctly, I can go ahead use Migration Assistant to transfer all the data from the old one to the new(er) one and I'll still have the apps that came with it?

Apr 10, 2015 5:29 PM in response to dabell43

When you use Migration Assistant you have the choice of what to include. It's better not to include applications, but to install them separately. If you migrate your account it will bring over all your documents etc. belonging to the account, and also all the preferences and registrations (so that you will be able to continue using applications without having to re-register them, excepting only any where the registration is tied to the specific hardware).

There is an important point to understand. Do not create a user account with the same name on the new Mac before migrating - doing this will cause all sorts of problems. On a brand new Mac you can migrate in the initial setting up process; on one which has already been used you need to avoid this clash of accounts.

However, you imply that this is a second hand Mac on which you want to keep the previous owner's applications; strictly speaking you are not allowed to do this (other than with free ones, of course), and in the case of Apple applications they will be tied to his Apple ID and won't be updatable even if they work. With non-Apple applications transfer of ownership would be at the discretion of the manufacturer who would, if they choose, issue a new licence.

Apr 10, 2015 5:31 PM in response to dabell43

With Migration Assistant you will end up with a new user - the migrated user. If I were you I would simply use CCC to clone the old disk to the new disk, but don't erase the destination drive first. The will just turn into an incremental update that only replaces an old file if a newer one is being transferred.

Migrating to a used Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.