Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can we still stack image in Photos?

Occasionally, like many others, I have 10+ images that are pretty much the same thing/subject. I liked being able to stack them and have the best one be on top of the pile.

I don't see a "stack" feature yet in Photos and I will submit it as a request. How do people plan on doing this in Photos? Hiding images? I'm just not clear what the best way to handle this is. I'd prefer not to delete them.

Jon

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 2:43 PM

18 replies

Nov 5, 2016 2:31 PM in response to J-Seattle

I only recently discovered this very useful feature in Aperture. Select a set of photos, hit cmd-k, then hit the number in upper left of stack to collapse stack (I wish I could configure this to happen automatically). It is also useful to pick the photo in the stack that will display (cmd - \, see Aperture: Working with stacks - Apple Support).

I wish Apple maintained a website where features that people want that are in Aperture can be added to Photos. As it is, I'm not going to switch to Photos (I hate that the number rating is gone too). I will perhaps migrate to a non-Apple product, but I didn't like Lightroom last time I tried it (years ago). Perhaps Affinity will someday come out with an Aperture like program.

Dara

Apr 15, 2015 7:50 PM in response to Ray Cathcart

Just started looking into Lightroom. From what I can tell you can geotag photos with it but not the originals. My camera does not have GPS. I don't like to alter the originals except when it comes to geotagging and time stamp if it is somehow wrong in the original (like scanned old pictures for instance).

As for the equivalent of stacking we have in Aperture, I have not gone that far yet.

If anyone else has comments on other software or on Lightroom, let us know!

Apr 21, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Ray Cathcart

So far it looks like Lightroom does everything I was used to and liked about Aperture. I was just about to write that the only thing it does not do is face recognition, but they just released an update and it can do it now (have not tried it yet). It took some adjustments since the file organization on the computer is different from Aperture, but not in a bad way. The originals are in a separate folder from the libraries in which changes to pictures can be made. It makes the libraries themselves smaller than the Aperture libraries, which were hiding everything (masters and modified copies). So, I may switch for good...

Jul 2, 2015 1:38 PM in response to J-Seattle

You can't stack pictures in Photos (yet). I imagine this won't be feature that is fixed anytime soon either as you can't stack photos on your iPhone or iPad and the OS is meant to mimic the iOS, so I can't see it being reintroduced unless it's introduced across the board (and it doesn't look like that will feature in iOS9).

Lightroom does stacking. I migrated to Photos and then tried Lightroom. I'm still torn so still using Aperture myself, but might not upgrade to El Capitan until I've seen whether Aperture will cease entirely under that.

Jul 2, 2015 3:25 PM in response to David Bywater

I imagine this won't be feature that is fixed anytime soon either as you can't stack photos on your iPhone or iPad and the OS is meant to mimic the iOS...

This is not true. There are already features on Photos for Mac that not on the iOS version - assign Faces for one. In spite of what you might read, in all these app the Mac version is more powerful than the iOS version - ever try create a style in Pages on iOS? There s no reason to assume that the two versions will have the same features, only that they will be interoperable in some fashion.

Nov 6, 2016 1:02 AM in response to David Bywater

You have loads of choices. You can swap a pro-level $80 app for a consumer level free one. You can choose to use any of a number of powerful pro-level apps made by 3rd parties, you can choose from an even larger selection of consumer level apps. You can even choose to just stay with Aperture and not update your OS. Every choice will involve change, some will result in an app more powerful than Aperture, others in a less powerful one. You get what you pay for. I don't know of any consumer level app with the stacking feature you prefer.

Can we still stack image in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.