Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display to new Retina MacBook?

Hi,

I ordered this new MacBook but I don't know how to connect it to an external Apple Display.
The displays I have are the Apple Thunderbolt Display and Cinema Displays using Thunderbolt or Display Port connectors.
I hope someone develops a cable for this or that Apple comes out with a new Display soon. Any ideas?

It's really a pity that Apple didn't think this through because an external display with it's supplemental built-in USB hub solves many problems for me.

Where are the days of the MacBook Duo Dock, the best solution in desktop computing ever...😉

Tnx,

Dieter

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 2:25 PM

29 replies

Apr 13, 2015 6:41 AM in response to jlstaz

The new MacBook realistically isn't made to connect to an external display anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only a single USB-C port on the entire computer.

That port has to cover charging along with anything else you want to do with it. If you found a way to connect it to an external display, you wouldn't have a way to simultaneously charge it as well. You'd have to disconnect it and recharge it pretty frequently, as using an external displays along with an external keyboard uses a lot of battery power.

I agree with Mike S. in that the MacBook Pro is definitely the better option if this is the type of thing you are looking to do with it. If they had put multiple USB-C ports on the new MacBook it would be a completely different story.

Apr 13, 2015 6:51 AM in response to GWinksalot09

Since the USB-C port is where you charge the MacBook in general, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to have a connector for Thunderbolt that both powers it and acts as the external display port?

I have access to both a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro and it doesn't make sense that the Macbook wouldn't hook up to a Thunderbolt. Isn't it supposed to be the mid-point between the Air and the Pro?

Apr 13, 2015 9:00 AM in response to jlstaz

jlstaz wrote:

I have access to both a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro and it doesn't make sense that the Macbook wouldn't hook up to a Thunderbolt. Isn't it supposed to be the mid-point between the Air and the Pro?

I don't think so. Macbook is and has always been the entry level. Look at it more as something between iPad and MacBook Air.....regardless of price.

How to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display to new Retina MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.