Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I extract still from my videos. The options near the controls includes an option to export frame to pictures, but I click it and nothing happens.

How do I get a still frame from a video in the new photos app?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 10:17 PM

The secret is in the description "Export Frame to Pictures".

After you click this, look in your top-level "Pictures" folder for the file, such as "Frame-14-04-2015-09-26-59.tiff".

You can then "Import" this file back into Photos.

iMac, OS X 10.10.3

9 replies

Jul 9, 2015 1:56 AM in response to BobbiRaine

**** yeah!! Took me a solid hour to figure out how to avoid switching over to iMovie to do grab a still frame (I'm having photo library sharing issues between Photos and iMovie right no...sigh).

I just couldn't figure out what that Photos command was doing when I selected it - didn't think it would be so simple! Thank you so much for the tip about the location of the frame - I probably should have looked a little harder but thought the command didn't work because it was not automatically imported. This is the next best thing at least 🙂

Aug 19, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Lobido

Thanks for these clues. For others like me, it might be helpful to know that the "export frame to Pictures" literally means export the frame to the Pictures file on your computer. And, that the export command itself is not found in the top pull-down menu, but under the little gear icon in the video player controls ... the same area where you trim a video. This process is awfully goofy, if you ask me!

how do I extract still from my videos. The options near the controls includes an option to export frame to pictures, but I click it and nothing happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.