Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop underlining when typing and no longer needed?

I just learned how to underline a word or sentence when emailing but I don't know how to stop it when no longer needed. It keeps underlining even when I don't

want it to.

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 8:13 PM

Instead of underlining while writing the letter write the letter first. Then underline the parts you want underlined by tapping select, adjusting the grab points to include what you want underlined, then tap underline.

14 replies

Apr 10, 2015 8:36 PM in response to bobseufert

Thank you for such a prompt response regarding underlining problems while emailing. I did some research and found it can't be done while text messaging.I

tried it and the 3 options (bold,italics,and underlining) do not appear as options unless you know otherwise. I have a new problem now. I recently updated to

IOS 8.3 and supposedly got new emojis but when I checked they seem to be the original ones. Would you be able to assist me in that question? I'm very new

to the IPad, Internet, etc. starting in Oct. 2014 but I am already hooked and want to learn all about hidden features ,etc. that will probably take me a lifetime.

I tried your remedy and it worked. I hope you don't mind me asking another question so soon. I'm still under Apple Support for free ( less than a year ) but after that I'll have the community which is great. I hope someday to be able to answer someone's question instead of asking one but for now I'm very grateful for

your welcome advice.

Apr 10, 2015 9:00 PM in response to sberman

Thank you for answering so promptly. Being very new to all this ( got my IPad in Oct. '14 ) with zero computer experience before I'm afraid I must admit I don't

understand what a toggle is so I can't try your method although I would like to. If you could be a bit more specific as in " Helpful Tips for IPad Dummies " I

might be able to do it your way which might be easier. Thanks again. Looking forward to hearing from you. No rush, however.

Apr 10, 2015 10:03 PM in response to Phyllisfromforesthills

You're welcome. You're correct you can't B/I/U in messages. I tried you can't even copy a underlined section from Notes into messages. I gave the new emoji's a quick check and there appear to be a number of new ones. I like that you can go to the different set of emojis by swiping instead of having to tap the button at the bottom. If you have more questions feel free to ask. It's best to start a new post if a question arises. There are plenty of friendly helpful people like sberman who contribute and know a whole lot more then I do. I'm looking forward to chatting/helping you again.

Apr 10, 2015 10:26 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for the definition. So toggleing is not so mind boggleing after all. I'll be sure to try it.It sounds much easier now. I know it's very late and bobseufert was

kind enough to try to answer a question I had about the new emojis that come with the updated IOS 8.3 but he advised me that additional questions should

be in a new post which I will respect in the future but he assumed I think that I was able to see them and my point was that nothing new appeared when I

tapped the smiley face. I updated my IPad so I don't know why I can't see them. Can you figure it out? No rush! Grateful for your help.

How to stop underlining when typing and no longer needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.