Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update iPhoto 9.6 to 9.6.1 after 10.10.3 update!

This Mac came with iPhoto 9.6 preinstalled (new iMac). The OS X 10.10.3 update killed iPhoto 9.6 because it needs an update to run. Apple REMOVED the update from the App Store, so I couldn't update the application even if I wanted to prior to installing the OS X 10.3.3 update. I'm assuming that even if I delete the app from my machine, I won't be able to get to iPhoto 9.6.1 via the App Store. Currently the update button for iPhoto does absolutely nothing.

My daughter has iPhoto 9.6.1 on her machine but she downloaded that under her own Apple ID. I'm assuming that if I replace my version with hers, it won't be linked to my Apple ID since I never downloaded it. I want it associated with my Apple ID.

So what am I supposed to do in the meantime? I have no iPhoto. I do not want to use Photos. I want my iPhoto back. Is Apple going to put the iPhoto 9.6.1 update back on the App Store for all of us who got stuck between the migration? Serious oversight on their part. Assuming that everyone's machine was updated already. I mean really, the machine shipped with iPhoto 9.6. The App Store reports updates for apps separately from the system updates. You have to log in to see your app updates, you don't have to log in to see your system updates. And that my friend, is what caused this whole fiasco.

Someone please tell me they have been able to update to 9.6.1 since the OS X 10.10.3 update. Please state what you did to get it.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 10:43 PM

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2015 10:43 PM in response to cmiles

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 16, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

I don't have the option to update iPhoto in the purchase list, nor is there an option to "unhide" any purchases in the My Account view...

Any other alternatives?

I want to manage my Library, which is large -nearly 300 GB - filling up my HD - need to get much of it to an external drive. Not sure if that is best done back in iPhoto or in Photos, lots more literature on the subject for iPhoto...

thanks!

Apr 16, 2015 7:55 AM in response to PKGowa

nor is there an option to "unhide" any purchases in the My Account view...

With respect, that option is there for everybody else...

There's no real way to "get much of it" onto another drive. But what you can do is possible in either app. This is written for iPhoto but the steps are exactly the same for Photos.

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

Now you have two full versions of the Library.

3. On the Internal library, trash the Events you don't want there

Now you have a full copy of the Library on the External and a smaller subset on the Internal

Some Notes:

As a general rule: when deleting photos do them in batches of about 100 at a time. iPhoto can baulk at trashing large numbers at one go.

You can choose which Library to open: Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

Apr 16, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated - one follow up if it's not too much - should I also copy the newly created Photos library? (mostly a reference of the iPhoto library I'm assuming since it shows that it is nearly the same size as the original iPhotos library but the HD isn't capable of handling another folder of that size)

And I appreciate your help on the hidden items, but the hidden items option was not available, I went back to my purchase list and hid a purchased item, then when I went back to My Account, the hidden items was an option.... but the only item in that menu was the purchase I had just hidden....

Original My Account page:

User uploaded file

After Hiding a purchase:

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

Again, thanks for your responses - very helpful to say the least!

I've now backed up both libraries - they both copied at close to 300 GB each - even though the Photos one is referencing the iPhoto library, correct? But perhaps the act of copying actually "solidified"(?) the Photos library to be self referencing?

I went through Photos deleting pics as you suggested but that does nothing to my internal HD space, as the pics in the iPhoto library are still the ones being referenced (space hogs), yes?

So I guess I have two options - go through iPhoto to delete the events on the internal HD? (but I still am unable to get that to update in App Store - and now all versions, including my back up copies on external drive have been deleted)

Or might I now delete the two libraries on the internal.

Then copy just the backed up Photos library back to the internal

-start deletions as you suggested from Photos once again.

I tested opening Photos from the backed up Photos library and that seems to be complete as far as I can tell.

I think that makes sense but just wanted to type it aloud before I go deleting all that media!

Thanks again!

Apr 17, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Eau Rouge

It was a solution suggested by Terence Devlin and others, for finding the updated version of iPhoto 9.6.1 that works with Yosemite. I was not successful in finding the update however. App Store gives me nada. I has worked for others though.

Terence DevlinApr 10, 2015 10:43 PM
Re: Cannot update iPhoto 9.6 to 9.6.1 after 10.10.3 update!in response to cmilesSolved

Apr 20, 2015 2:23 PM in response to VanDeePecan

I had a very similar problem, but my grayed out button said UPDATE (not INSTALL). I clicked it and it did nothing. Then I read Terence Devlin's suggestion, dragged my existing iPhoto application to the trash, then the UPDATE button worked, re-installed iPhoto, and it's working fine now. Have you dragged your existing iPhoto to the trash yet? I would try that. Hope it works for you.

Cannot update iPhoto 9.6 to 9.6.1 after 10.10.3 update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.