Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime "plug-in failure" in safari 8.0.5

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 and get a quicktime "plug-in failure" in safari 8.0.5 when playing mov files at http://www.time-science.com/timescience/timelapse.asp

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:40 PM

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 and get a quicktime "plug-in failure" in safari 8.0.5 when playing mov files at http://www.time-science.com/timescience/timelapse.asp

All 8 open, play, and download for me in Safari v8.0.5 under Yosemite v10.10.3. All are Sorenson Video 3 video encodes without audio in MOV file containers. The top six are 320x240 pixel files and the last two are 800x533 pixel displays.

User uploaded file

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2015 7:40 PM in response to Greg@Sydney

All 8 open, play, and download for me in Safari v8.0.5 under Yosemite v10.10.3. All are Sorenson Video 3 video encodes without audio in MOV file containers. The top six are 320x240 pixel files and the last two are 800x533 pixel displays.

User uploaded file

Apr 11, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Greg@Sydney

So it's something unique to my setup

I wonder how to fix it.

Tried uninstalling adobe flash, restarting and reinstalling as I noticed that idea in some web searching

This is what I get for the "Flowers":

User uploaded file

Sorenson Video 3 is a legacy codec that is only passively supported under Yosemite. QT 7 and the QT browser plug-in can still play this content. However, QT 7 Pro can only export to this compression format if the codec is turned back on by the user. (I.e., active QT export support of the "legacy" codecs was turned off under Lion.) Further, Sorenson Video 3 is neither QT X or QL "playback" compatible but can be converted natively by QT Player v10.4 if desired.

Not sure if your error message is supposed to indicate that the QT browser plug-in is missing or is simply corrupted. Problem could also be in the way the web site is coded to play the files but I am not a site programmer so it would do me little good to examine the code use. On the other hand, I do already have a "Test" web site set up for a user trying to get his files to play in an older version of Safari so I added test pages for the Sorenson files from the site you referenced. See if you can play them from my alternate test pages. If they play there, then the problem may be site, otherwise, if they still don't play, you may need to reinstall the browser software.

Alternate Test Web Pages

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Greg@Sydney

Sorry but I can not see what you suggest I try

Also, the URL for the "Alternate Test Web Pages" does not work.

ie. result

Not Found

Sorry! Only one-half of one percent of my total hard drive capacity is dedicated to my personal web server. To get around this, I sometimes link multiple projects to a single named site independently on a rotating basis. Have reallocated your test space access via a single, non-changing URL portal. The main URL has changed to http://itest.walker4.me/ and your individual test area is designated as "Greg@Sydney" in the main menu. Be advised that this temporary test area will be deleted on or about 1 May 2015 so I can re-use the drive space.

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Jon Walker

thanks for the site but unfortunately it still does not work.

I have done some extra experimenting with your site. It doesn't work on my iMac or macbook pro but does work on another iMac I have which was rebuilt with yosemite. (with that surprise, I also checked that last iMac on the original site and had success)

Now I guess I need to find the plugin and remove it or change that has broken it on the two machines

(I wonder if it's Flip4Mac :-(

Apr 13, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Greg@Sydney

Now I guess I need to find the plugin and remove it or change that has broken it on the two machines

(I wonder if it's Flip4Mac :-(

As previously indicated, these file are Sorenson Video 3 encodes in MOV file containers. They are supported natively in Safari v8.0.5 by the Quicktime Plugin.plugin software—not Flip4Mac which provides Windows Media AV codec support. My guess would be the "QuickTime Plugin.plugin" file in the "internet Plug-ins" folder. Compare the working and non-working systems looking for missing, corrupted, or conflicted plugins. Even Safari under IOS 8 natively supports the files as posted to the test site web pages and as posted on the Time-Science,com web site.

User uploaded file

May 8, 2015 8:58 AM in response to monitone

I too am experiencing the same issue, though not with the same website. I've uninstalled/re-installed/ removed preferences and all I else I can think to do. Still says plug in failure on hbo and other tv/movie sites

It is difficult to assess a specific problem when no reference to specific content is given. In going to the HBO site and watching random media selections, my first guess is that you have a configuration problem. Some of the content requires Flash player software be installed. Other content is from YouTube and can be in the newer AVC1 (MP4) which should be supported or older legacy (FLV) format which may not be supported by your system's current configuration and the manner in which the site pages are coded to recognize your system/browser and serve media.

User uploaded file

Oct 28, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Greg@Sydney

I don't have a solution but I have a work-around. I arrived here researching an apparently similar issue, ie QuickTime plug-in failure (Safari 9.0, OS X 10.10.5, QuickTime 7.7.3). I experienced the same problem when attempting to view the science videos linked above, here. One played for approx 0.5 seconds before displaying message.

I worked around the issue by using Firefox. Activated QuickTime plugin as requested in video location on page and viewed videos without problems. Leaving this here in case it helps anyone else to at least move on with their work, etc.

quicktime "plug-in failure" in safari 8.0.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.