Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

30" ACD sometimes won't wake

I have a 30" ACD from 2008 which still looks great, connected to a 2012 15" MBP which I keep closed, in clamshell mode. When the monitor goes to sleep, I just tap on an arrow key or two, and it wakes right up. Usually.

Every once in a while the usual jiggling of arrow keys doesn't wake it. And on some of those occasions Ill notice the ACD's power light is off, so I'll push the button on the wide of the ACD, and the display will not turn on. What usually works is to unplug the ACD's USB and mini-DVI cables from the laptop, wait a few second and then plug them back in. Sometimes just unplugging and re-plugging the USB cord works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes just unplugging and re-plugging the mini-DVI cord works. And sometimes not. It's not consistent.

And when the cord trick doesn't work, I open the laptop. Normally, the Retina Display turns on, and then so does the ACD, so I close the laptop and the ACD works fine. But sometimes opening the laptop gives me a black screen. In that case I have to turn the computer off and reboot it to get an image.

This last phenomenon makes me think the problem might lie with the MBP, but everything else feels like it's a display problem.

Any ideas? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 11:29 PM

There are no replies.

30" ACD sometimes won't wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.