Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos vs. iPhoto

Seems to me that the new 'Photos' was not designed with the photographer in mind i.e. someone who uses a real camera...not a phone camera. I liked how iPhoto was different in it's layout from what we have on our phones, iPads, etc. So now I'm playing around to find out if I can still use iPhoto. My first thought when I realised what a step backwards Photos is was to get Aperture. But I can't seem to find it on the App Store. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough....?

Dunno what other people think of this latest update. I for one am not real impressed with it.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:00 AM

8 replies

Apr 11, 2015 2:04 AM in response to Inglebuzz

1. It's hard to disagree with that assessment. It seems optimised for phones, which is what most people shoot with these days.

2. You can still use iPhoto. But it is no longer developed and there is no guarantee that it will run on whatever OS comes after 10.10.

3. Aperture is no longer sold by Apple. Same as iPhoto.

Look at apps by other makers: Lightroom etc.

Apr 11, 2015 2:54 AM in response to Inglebuzz

This whole Photos thing is a nightmare. After reading the first reviews, I took the plunge yesterday and started Photos. Result:

1. I was unable to complete the purchase of extra iCloud storage which would fit my 100GB library. So I tried to continue without iCloud library.

2. At this point, Photos announced my iPhoto library was locked or I didn't have permission, I said to try and repair them but it hung for hours without doing a thing. Stuck on preparing library 2%. At some point, I force quit Photos and tried to return to iPhoto. This

3. opened normally, but all my sharing options (which worked perfectly yesterday), that is, sharing to Facebook, e-mail, etc. are now greyed out, even though all the accounts are in place in the Preferences. I suspect this to be sure to my opening Photos once.

AAARGH! Why can't Apple handle photos????

Apr 11, 2015 4:40 AM in response to Anna in Istanbul

Yeah, I think I will keep using iPhoto for the time being. Mine still seems to be working fine, no sharing options are greyed out like you mentioned you were suffering from.

It's just frustrating that this happened with no warning. I don't live in front of my Mac, so I don't know what sort of 'heads-up' there was about Photos coming. All I know is I don't like Apple taking it upon themselves to change completely how I had everything organized...photos are a precious thing and I don't like them being meddled with.

Apr 11, 2015 4:59 AM in response to Inglebuzz

I don't like it either. Looks like Apple follows the money trail, iPhone/iPad users.

They totally ignore now graphic designers, photographers..etc. who use a real computer and not the mini-toys.

In 2-3 yrs Apple will make a new application just for toys, I guess.

There is a nice application called Lyn. You can try it. It works very similarly to iPhoto, and the developer is as good as developer of GraphicConverter, both respond to any question or idea. On MacUpdate people report very good reviews. So, if more iPhoto users will move to Lyn, the better. PhotoShop Elements Organizer is very good too. But I never tried.

Apr 11, 2015 7:45 AM in response to snappir

I don't like it either. Looks like Apple follows the money trail, iPhone/iPad users.

Hmmm, a large corporation follows profit motive shock.

They totally ignore now graphic designers, photographers..etc. who use a real computer and not the mini-toys.

That's just not true. Apple is a hardware company and just is out of the pro market in software. They don't need to be there are there's a very healthy 3rd party market in these fields now - unlike a few years ago.

But, you know, insulting other users by calling the apps and devices they use as "toys" doesn't really win people over to your cause. I use this real computer every day - and I can do some of my work on iOS devices if I need to, and - imagine this - I'm not a graphic designer or photographer. There are other uses for computers too...

Apr 11, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Yer_Man

I didn't mean to insult the users of smartphones, but if you feel I did, then accept my apologies.

And I do agree with the software issue, there are thousands of excellent software in App Store, and I spend there quite a bit of time, searching for gems.

And as I keep using the new Photos, I discover that it is indeed an very good upgrade. Too bad only Apple killed the original name "iPhoto".

Photos vs. iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.