Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has my Magic Mouse gone bad

The batteries on my mouse went dead. After replacing them, my mouse will not allow me to login. On the login screen, I can move the mouse to the User Account, but clicking on the account does nothing.

I hooked up an old USB mouse and seems to work perfectly. Using the USB mouse to get the Magic Mouse connected again in the Bluetooth settings, The Magic Mouse can scroll and the pointer can move around, but clicking on anything on the screen does nothing. Buttons, links, opening Apps, nothing works.

So can a Magic Mouse just go bad or might I have a Bluetooth issue. Any help, suggestions appreciated.

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 4:01 AM

9 replies

Apr 11, 2015 5:36 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks for the help. I will replace it, but I still think something else is going on, as it worked fine before the batteries died.

I've been having another issue with my iMac late 2009 10,1. My screen goes black every so often and can't get the Desktop back without restarting. Restarting always resolves it until the next time. The iMac 10,1 was part of a hard drive recall and I've been thinking the heat sensor was not put in place properly after the HD replacement. One of the symptoms of the black screen was not responding to the mouse, in terms of waking from the black screen. But now I wonder if the black screen and mouse may be part of the same issue.

I'll get the new mouse and see what happens. Thanks again.

Apr 11, 2015 4:36 AM in response to seventy one

The only other bluetooth device is the Apple keyboard.

I cleaned all the contacts and the lens, that didn't seem to help. This is a very weird problem. Even in this discussion, I can move the pointer to live links, the links light up, but clicking them does nothing. The other strange thing is if I hover over your user name, seventy one, the information window will open. But if I hover on the link just below your username, the link lights up, but clicking it does nothing.

So it seems more like a tracking issue than Bluetooth.

Apr 11, 2015 4:55 AM in response to Joe Gramm

As far as I know, hovering over my avatar will raise the info panel and you simply click from that same position. You haven't mentioned if the click function works to rouse your mouse from sleep. When you say clicking on buttons doesn't work are you saying you cannot red button to get out of any screen?

There is no specific lifetime for a mouse as with anything else on a computer and they are not reparable. One thing to try is to use a piece of matt black cloth (or matt white paper) as your mat. (Matt to avoid reflection). It may have taken a dislike to your mouse mat or whatever you use it on.

Apr 11, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Joe,

I guess that is what going bad means ... not necessarily totally bad but bad enough to need to get rid of it. Like a car when the gearbox only functions for three of the four gears. 😀

Remember. Buy from an Apple store and you can return a new mouse within fourteen days no questions asked. So if you have the same problem, you know your current one is still usable.

Good luck.

Has my Magic Mouse gone bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.