Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PPC G5 OS X 10.5.8 using disk utility not all permissions repaired

Dear apple Community,

My G5 PPC iMac OS X 10.5.8, Processor 2GHz, memory 2 GB DDR SDRAM, Total Capacity:149.1 GB (160,041,885,696 Bytes)

Applying Disk Utility to Repair Permissions there are always 12 permissions never repaired! Should I delete then reinstall the Operating system? OR

Is there something else that could be the problem?

User uploaded file

Hope there is someone who may help

Best Wishes,

mflick

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:02 AM

Don't do anything. Repair Permission will almost always report such things. It is not harming your computer and is only a reporting issue, not a performance or security problem. It has been a long time since running RP displayed no items on a second run, like maybe in the OS10.2 days.

6 replies

Apr 11, 2015 3:18 PM in response to mflick

As long as the report ends up with 'Permissions repair complete' then, as far as permissions go, you are fine. You can ignore the various statements in the report:

Permissions you can ignore on 10.5 onwards:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Using 'should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--' as an example, you will see the that the permissions are not changed, but the | indicates a different location. This is because an update to Leopard onwards changed the location of a number of system components.

Poster rccharles has provided this description of what it all means:

drwxrwxrwx

d = directory

r = read

w = write

x = executeable program

drwxrwxrwx

| | |

| | all other users not in first two types

| |

| group

|

owner

a little more info

Before the user had read & write. A member of the group had read.

After, only the user had read & write.

Apr 12, 2015 4:12 AM in response to Klaus1

Thank you Klaus 1,

Whilst I appreciate that Leopard has put these reported permissions in a different place within the OS; is one able to see that place or are they so deep it is just not practicable to hunt? I'm just curious not that I'd know what to do if I did locate the permissions...

Thanks once again for your time and input,

Best wishes, mflick

PPC G5 OS X 10.5.8 using disk utility not all permissions repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.