Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I revert from Photos back to iPhotos?

How do I revert from Photos back to iPhotos? I can't do anything with Photos that I was able to do with iPhotos, which was whole reason I bought a Mac

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), No Sound

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 5:52 AM

If you did not uninstall iPhoto, and if you have updated iPhoto to version 9.6.1, you can simply double click your original iPhoto Library to open it in iPhoto. You will see a panel warning you, that it has been migrated. Click the "Open iPhoto" button. and you can continue working in iPhoto, while you wait for improvements to Photos.

See: If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated - Apple Support

The Photos library is linked to your iPhoto library, if you migrated the library to Photos. Then the Photos library does not need extra storage and you do nt need to deleted it to save space.

See: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2015 5:52 AM in response to MJ Martinez

If you did not uninstall iPhoto, and if you have updated iPhoto to version 9.6.1, you can simply double click your original iPhoto Library to open it in iPhoto. You will see a panel warning you, that it has been migrated. Click the "Open iPhoto" button. and you can continue working in iPhoto, while you wait for improvements to Photos.

See: If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated - Apple Support

The Photos library is linked to your iPhoto library, if you migrated the library to Photos. Then the Photos library does not need extra storage and you do nt need to deleted it to save space.

See: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2015 11:19 AM in response to MJ Martinez

I found one thing in the new Photos that made it appear similar to old one, so I could do things like moving new import into albums. The default setting in Photos did not have the side bar showing. When I went to top menu and chose VIEW then submenu SHOW SIDEBAR, I could again "feel better" because I saw similar view as old iPhoto. Hope this helps some!

Jul 20, 2015 6:28 AM in response to MJ Martinez

First - I Hate photos, now and was getting mad when I tried to show all pictures related to an event to my friends who believe me as a mac man.

After that failed Demo, I realised photo is the worst thing Apple could do for users who love apple for iPhoto. Tim, your team is putting nails in Steve's coffin and I am sure he'll not be happy. I wish Apple realises this soon.

Back to the topic. After going through several blogs/discussions, all I found was how to use old library but none talked about All new pictures I had added to new photos to take backup and clean our iphones. Couldn't find any answer.

If I export and import, I will loose all dates. If I try to go to library, find file and copy, it will take me years due to change in structure and way photos store files. Why I didn't checked this earlier, duh. Well, I gave a try to my theory that I should be able to import library from photos as opening the library directly is not so normal or easy.

What i did is -> Open iPhotos -> Import to library -> Pictures -> Double click on "Photos Library". Voila - All pictures from Photos to iPhoto

Now, I still need to work a lot to clean up the junk.

Few points before you do this

1. Delete all pictures which you already have in iPhoto from photos, to save the duplicates or you can select Ignore duplicate option as well while importing

2. As photos create thumbnails for most of the faces, after import it need to be selected and deleted. Tip - Faces creates Thumbnail DB on dates after import is done. These thumbnail will create individual seperate events and easier to select as they will be after import of main pictures.

3. While deleting thumbnails, have a look at it before pressing delete button, you may find some interesting individual portraits which may not be realised in a picture as a whole.

I hope this will help people to revert back who moved to photos, imported more pictures and regretted.

How do I revert from Photos back to iPhotos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.