Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently erase my files on an iBook G4?

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 4:56 AM

You could start the computer in Target Disk Mode so it appears as external HDD

to another Mac that has FireWire ports. Then drag the files, or use other software

options to move or use them elsewhere.

•How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

•The ultimate guide to ejecting a stuck disc from Mac superdrive (in computer)

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/05/01/the-ultimate-guide-to-ejecting-a-stuck-dis c-from-mac-superdrive/

Hopefully these links may be of help to both of your current questions that could

have been placed in the same thread, if they both relate to attempting to handle

issues with the iBook G4 in both instances.

Also, for tedium and last ditch effort, you could open up the iBook G4 and remove

the internal hard disk drive, then put that into an enclosure or use a universal USB

wire kit to access the bare drive via another computer.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Wharenu1

You could start the computer in Target Disk Mode so it appears as external HDD

to another Mac that has FireWire ports. Then drag the files, or use other software

options to move or use them elsewhere.

•How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

•The ultimate guide to ejecting a stuck disc from Mac superdrive (in computer)

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/05/01/the-ultimate-guide-to-ejecting-a-stuck-dis c-from-mac-superdrive/

Hopefully these links may be of help to both of your current questions that could

have been placed in the same thread, if they both relate to attempting to handle

issues with the iBook G4 in both instances.

Also, for tedium and last ditch effort, you could open up the iBook G4 and remove

the internal hard disk drive, then put that into an enclosure or use a universal USB

wire kit to access the bare drive via another computer.

Apr 11, 2015 4:00 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks so much for this advice. However, the computer, after working briefly today, has packed it in completely. The battery seems to be dead but the computer is running off the mains supply. I have not used it in several years and when last used would only run off the mains. It does not warrant a new battery but I will keep trying to get it up and running and try to follow your advice and get that disk out delete those files. Thank once again and regards.

Apr 14, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Wharenu1

There are a few thing you could try, however if you can avoid disassembling the iBook G4

that would be the best option, if you can get the data out and the internal HDD erased...

The guides to show how to take apart (to access internals) for repair from iFixit.com cover

several models over those years the series version(s) were available. Here's the main page

to see the guides for iBook G4, choose the one best suited to your computer build model:

•iBook G4 Repair Guide - iFixit.com:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G4

This could be used to extract the hard disk drive so as to access the bare drive to retrieve

information from it, by use of another computer. There may be issues due to permissions

and privileges relating to ownership of files created under OS X with any retrieved files.

Opening up an older Apple portable computer can be problematic should it ever be expected

to be used again, since damages to other OK components may occur due to this process.

An example of a quality "universal usb drive adapter" can be looked into at this web site:

•NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB3.0 (& before, w/ ATA/IDE/SATA) with power supply

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

You may be able to locate something similar at a computer shop in your area, or nearby.

Since these are backward compatible to older drive types and older USB, and include a

power supply and wires to attach the bare hard drive and access it from a computer, it is

a fair idea and probably one way to go; if you cannot get the computer to boot in FW TDM.

Target Disk Mode can be a good way, since the computer need not boot into its OS, then.

While I have an iBook G4 12-inch that hasn't seen much use, and is essentially stock with

exception of the OS X version was Tiger 10.4 when shipped, now it Leopard 10.5.8; it is

almost new. Of course their batteries were among the short-lived variety; you could hope

to get a year out of an original battery. The OWC company offers a battery that I may get.

If your iBook G4 is a 12-inch 1.33GHz, Last Model like mine, here's the iFixit guide:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iBook_G4_12%22_1.33_GHz

Not sure what your local options are, or if you have a Mac User Group near your area that

may have someone helpful to attempt to get the data out of the computer; perhaps someone

that may be able to help restore its function, or once you are done, take it off your hands(?)

In any event...

Apr 12, 2015 5:00 PM in response to Wharenu1

The other way to get the information would be to physically extract the computer's

hard disk drive, and use the 'universal USB wire kit' to retrieve your files from the

bare hard drive. This would be a method to access the hard disk drive which does

not require the purchase of an external enclosure for the drive, install it, and then

see if you can access those files. The 'wire kit method' requires no additional work

other than to attach wires to the bare drive once you open up the old iBook G4...

Whereas to buy an enclosure to install the iBook's HDD into, adds another layer.

A good enclosure that could work with ATA/IDE may be hard to find & cost you $.

With the wire kit idea, you can use a disk utility in any computer to wipe that HDD.

So you could take the computer to a shop that specialized in Apple computers and

pay asking fee to open it up so you can try & get your files from the hard disk drive.

From what I've seen, though, they can charge up to $100 per hour. A smart 12 y/o

could probably follow the instructions in the iFixit.com guide for iBook G4, to use

the correct one and do this job fairly easy. Easier if you do not intend on repairing it.

There are a few tools that may be required in order to access various screws, etc.

In any event... hopefully you can get your old files out.

Good luck & happy computing! )

Apr 12, 2015 9:15 PM in response to Wharenu1

Hi,

Have you also tried starting the computer (connected to the power adapter) with the battery removed? Sometimes, a bad battery can put a heavy load on the power supply.

Otherwise, as K Shaffer already mentioned, opening the iBook and removing the hard drive (to be connected to an external USB-to-ATA drive adapter) is probably the best way in this case. If it is not necessary to gain access to any files on the hard disk prior to wiping, one could also just destroy the drive using a sledgehammer or a power drill.

Jan

Apr 13, 2015 5:10 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks. I tried that and on the first attempt it seemed to be starting up but then died. On the second, third and fourth attempts I got no response at all.

My wife has suggested we hit the computer a lot of times with a hammer and throw it out with the garbage, in the hope it will be so unusable noone will try to read what is on the hard disk. We did that to the last computer we replaced but the hard drive was easier to get at than the iBook and we could did physically extract it. Its always a shame to go this route but very old computers become uneconomical to repair. Perhaps the Apple people could get it up and running but it hardly warrants the cost of a new battery and the labor and possibly other parts that will go into fixing it, especially as it has been replaced several times over by newer models. Regards.

Apr 13, 2015 11:57 PM in response to Wharenu1

Since the computer at least tries to start up intermittently, it may be worth checking the power supply as well. Begin by inspecting the cable(s). Any change if you carefully move the cable going to the low-voltage (DC) power plug, or if a little pressure is put onto the plug itself ? One should perhaps not rule out that something has happened inside the DC plug, or that solder joints at the DC-in-jack in the computer have worked loose. The ifixit.com guides, mentioned by K Shaffer, are very informative. With access to the guide for your iBook variant, it should be possible to open the computer without too much difficulty.

Apr 15, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Wharenu1

Ohh that will be a shame. I had 3 old iBook G4s of mine that I was using at a Charter school as late as last year. The kids were doing Dubstep on Garage Band with them.(Drove me nuts! But they had fun and that's what's important!)

I had an old external DVD player that was bootable so I could erase and install w/o having to deal with the drive. They can also boot from an external hard drive but that would take FireWire 400.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.