Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White screen after Yosemite 10.10.3 update

Today I installed the 10.10.3 Yosemite update and ended up with a white screen when my MacBook restarted. I shut it down and restarted but with the same result. As I could think of nothing else to do I re-installed the OS from Recovery. However, that took over 5 hours! My MacBook is now running OK with Yosemite 10.10.3 installed, but in case it happens again in future,and for anyone else who experiences this, was there a quicker way to get round this problem?

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

Apr 11, 2015 11:50 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, That was interesting, although I have no idea which of the issues (if any) caused my problem. I may have made things potentially harder for myself anyhow in that I have File Vault enabled and have also set a firmware password on my MacBook. That certainly made reinstalling the OS a bit more tricky, but could it have caused the problem with the OS update?

Apr 12, 2015 1:17 AM in response to muffincat

Try this steps.

Boot your Mac to Recovery Mode: OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

In Recovery Mode go to Apple Logo and select Startup Disk. Since you are using FileVault, Startup Disk will prompt you to unlock your drive first - do that by providing your user login password. Select your system partition and click on Restart button.

Is there any progress?

Apr 12, 2015 3:43 AM in response to iW00

Hi! Thanks for your response. That, in fact, is what I did (see original post). My query was really to try to ascertain whether having File Vault activated and a firmware password set was going to cause me problems every time I performed an upgrade to the OS in future. I certainly hope not, but it has made me a bit nervous!

Aug 21, 2015 10:42 PM in response to muffincat

I chased around trying to upgrade from 10.8 to Yosemite.. always a white screen forever.. Easy fix for me was to do a new clean install of Yosemite on a different drive. If you keep the old drive that you wanted to update on the desktop while you open up your new Yosemite drive.. you'll be asked if you want to MIGRATE any old system onto this new drive. I clicked yes. Applications, Users, etc.. and 10 hours later my 885 GB 10.8 internal was incorporated into my new Yosemite 10.10 drive.. I plan to Carbon Copy Clone the Yosemite drive onto a new Internal. MIGRATE !!

White screen after Yosemite 10.10.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.