Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use keyboard keys to control next/previous patch ?

Hi,

I'm new to MainStage. I know how to add patches to a set, and I've seen demos of how to assign whatever buttons/knobs to actions.

My keyboard controller really doesn't have any knobs or buttons, it's a basic MIDI keyboard with basically Volume and patch selection buttons (for the dozen or so patches it comes programmed with). I did try to assign the patch selection buttons to actions, didn't really succeed ?!

What I would really like is for the leftmost key on my keyboard to selection the previous patch in Mainstage, and the rightmost key to select the next patch.

Is that possible ?

Can I get step-by-step instructions please ?

Tks so much.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 9:22 AM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2015 4:58 AM in response to lifenoise

I'll just add this info in case you're needing more control in the future...

I bought a Korg Nanocontrol USB controller for this sort of thing. It's nice, cheap and compact - although I don't use all the faders. I've programmed the transport buttons and bank select buttons for next/prev song, next/prev patch, and I use the first fader for main volume and some of the others for other control things. All in all, very useful piece of kit for a very decent price. There's a variety of different models but I really only needed a volume fader with some patch change buttons so this was my choice. (I use the lowest/highest keys for triggering samples 🙂)

Apr 11, 2015 4:35 PM in response to bercy4646

It can be done. In layout, select the patch up button at the bottom of the patch list. Assign to note on/off and the note number that corresponds with lowest key on your keyboard. In the screenshots below, it's an 88-note keyboard and the lowest note is A-1. Then, in edit mode, at concert level, if it's not already assigned as such, select the previous patch button and select the mappings tab in the screen control inspector. Then actions>prev patch. Repeat the process for the highest key on your keyboard and actions>next patch.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2015 7:15 AM in response to bercy4646

I just double-checked the process and it works. The top and bottom keys do not make a sound. Instead, they move the patch to previous or next. Make sure all the steps are correctly administered. In layout, select the keyboard and look at the screen control inspector>settings. Make sure the right number of keys is selected for your keyboard(49, 61, 88, etc.). Then select the learn button and play the lowest note on your keyboard.

Make sure the hardware input MIDI port is assigned to your keyboard in the screen control inspector. If you only use one keyboard or MIDI/USB device you can just set it to all. Make sure the patch+/- buttons are are also assigned to MIDI port>your keyboard or all.

User uploaded file

Can I use keyboard keys to control next/previous patch ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.